Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Teak deck cleaning
09 April 2012 - 13:01

Teak deck cleaning

We are now back in the water and have been cleaning everything!  The teak deck has some green growth on it that I can not shift with just washing up liquid and water.

We use to use a product called Boatlife at the beginning of every season, but it is no longer available in the UK.

Other than sanding, which I wouldn’t do, does anybody have any suggestions, or if in the EU does your local chandlery stock Boatlife?

Much appreciate

Adrian

09 April 2012 - 17:28

Adrian, when I kept my boat in the damp UK I used to add 300ml of Domestos (toilet cleaner) to a 10 litre garden watering can and apply liberally to my teak decks. I'd then leave it for an hour then rinse off with fresh water. This seemed to work very well in keeping the algae under control, lightly bleaching the teak and was easy to do and very low cost.
John Bailey has recommended using a Patio cleaner called Patio Magic I think which he says works well. I'm sure he will comment on this.
The worst thing in my experience is trying to remove by brushing which just wears the teak away.

Good luck, Gavin

09 April 2012 - 18:13

Adrian, Patio Magic works well in keeping decks free from going green, the decks stay a silver colour. We spray on apply a solution as recomended at the begining and mid season. It is not however a cleaner.    

John B 411-010

09 April 2012 - 20:55

Dear Adrian,
I would suggest BORACOL. See www.boracol-shop.de
It is a marvelous product and is advised for more than 15 years by Hallberg Rassy. It is on page 34 in their manuals.
It have used it for many years now and my decks look splendid.

Best regards,
Jan Kooistra
Swan 38/110
Yulunga

11 April 2012 - 11:13

Adrian,
you should NEVER use anything other than salt water applied with a clean sponge across the grain of the teak, with a little, very gentle elbow grease and copious amounts of salt water. Salt water kills off the algae. So called teak deck treatments contain harsh chemicals which may 'clean' your decks but cause long term damage opening up the grain and drying out the teak's natural oils. Never use a power washer either for the same reason.

Brian.
36/021
Seamróige

15 April 2012 - 12:18

Dear Adrian,

I quote Brian, better to clean the teack deck with sea water and a very soft sponge. Chemicals are fabolous to get the teack clean and as beautiful as new, but what chemical companies don't tell you is that chemicals litterally and time after time weaken the caulking, so in a few years you are likely to have to re-caulk the deck, and as most people know this is a long time keeping (and money) job.

If you talk to an old sailor he's likely to tell you in the old times they used to wash the boat with a lot of sea water before the night, and let it there untill the day after, then and only then they cleand it with soft sponges or very soft brushes.

Try it, it works!

Fair wind!

matteo (38/067 Only You)

15 April 2012 - 21:34

Dear all,

Everybody has his own opinion about this subject. And because we are all very proud of our Swan, with their mostly beautiful teak decks we feel very strong on this matter. And Matteo is right in general about most chemicals. But I would oppose upon judging in general on specific products, that are proved save and advised by many Scandinavian Yards. I have used BORACOL for at least 10 years now and it has absolutely no negative effect on the caulking nor the teak.

Furthermore it is in my opinion the only product that penetrates the wood and kills the fungus (black/dark spots) deep in the teak. And you don't need a brush or sponge to scrub it. Yust spray it.

In our marina the product is used by many (really many) yachts and every owner is happy with it.

But everybody should stick with his own method if proved !

Fair winds and clean decks for everyone !

Jan/Yulunga

12 December 2013 - 22:25

Hi Adrian,
I share the same view as Jan on Boracol. I have been using it for almost 3 years now and it has worked highly efficiently with no collateral damage. It is a light product which goes deep into the wood and eliminates algae.
Best regards and fair wind.
Christophe
Swan 41
Antares

13 December 2013 - 07:10

One other thing to consider is the effect of the deck cleaner on the precious alloy toerails. You sometimes see that the anodising has been damaged on the inside of the toerail due to the use of strong cleaning chemicals on the deck. Gavin

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 2