Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Swan 41 door catch
06 January 2013 - 08:38

Swan 41 door catch
Can anyone advise please the correct way to remove the door catch as shown on attached photos? All the door catches I've looked at for guidance seem to have this part secured by screws, but apparently not this one? Thanks, Andrew "Scotch Bonnet" 41/039

06 January 2013 - 19:13

Hi Andrew,

I renovated our three doors last winter and also remarked this. I think the complete mechanism can be removed via the front side, but is it covered with veneer that was added after the lock had been inserted.

Christian IF 411/028

07 January 2013 - 15:15

Dear Andrew and Christian
I would suggest that the lock cylinder originally was inserted through the door edge and held by the two screws in-line with it.
It is likely that there is corrosion on the cylinder outside now, and this holds it firmly.
The use of an extractor suggested. The support plate should have a hole the same size as the cylinder in order to prevent surface veneers from splitting.
Kind regards
Lars

14 January 2013 - 09:09

Dear Professor and Christian, thank you for your advice. I have made a puller and put quite a lot of pressure on it, far more than I imagine rust could exert on timber, and no sign of movement at all. Did I understand correctly that the only screws retaining the latch are the 2 that also secure the knob and pass through the latch? It seems rather un-Swan like to veneer over either the means of removal or other securing screws. Thanks and best regards, Andrew

14 January 2013 - 10:31

Dear Andrew
If the puller does not solve the problem one possibility is to find a hole saw with the inner diameter close to the cylinder diameter and a thin blade
Kind regards
Lars

10 March 2015 - 18:53

I had the same problem -- here is how the lock came out.
It is indeed a cylinder shape that comes out the front hole. After removing the handles, I put a small metal bar through the lock -- just where the handle bar goes through. Then, pulling evenly, the lock came out.
Forty years of corrosion mean that it did not come out easily. Hence, two clamps mounted on a stable bar had to help. The resistance of the lock is huge, but it works.
I showed the lock around on the boat show in Dusseldorf -- wide agreement that "you do not get this kind of craftsmanship anymore".
Just to complete an old thread ...
Martin

The lock, partly pulled out of the door

Clamp construction

Here is what it looks like

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 2