Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - 1972 Swan 40 mast
12 October 2013 - 12:26

1972 Swan 40 mast
Hi, I believe its time that my yacht Bella Gioia dismantles the heavy original mast and replaces it with a taller light weight mast so as to improve her performance.
My question is is there a recommended taller rig(looks to me that 1.5m-2m would work and look a lot better) would balance her looks(the present mast does look a little squat).The other question is should I maintain the mast head rig or go for a fractional rig.Have a look at her sailing on the assoc web site.
Regards Ross Norgard

12 October 2013 - 12:46

Good Question. I am looking forward to the reponse from Lars. I should also be considering this for our lady. Starting to see some corrosion.

Mike

Storm Svale Swan 40

12 October 2013 - 17:11

Dear Ross and Mike
You are right that rigs are taller now. You could either stay with the masthead concept, or go fractional. In some cases the foretriangle has been retained, and only the mainsail luff extended. If the extension then is a metre or so you can probably still tension the forestay with the backstay, if you go higher the runners will be essential for getting a tight headstay.
There are various criterions for how much extension to choose - appearance, stiffness in a blow, light weather performance, achieving same characteristics as some known boat, etc.
Assume you will go to double spreaders, then the chainplate dimensions need to be checked as the load distribution in the shrouds changes, and different shroud sizes are probably required.
Kind regards
Lars

13 October 2013 - 09:02

Thanks Lars,
As usual right on. Anyway to further this discussion we should contact ask the folks with 40 s who have changed their rigs for some input. Moksha has a new rig and I seem to recall that Tabasco has a carbon fiber rig although I might be wrong. At least there was one of our family who shifted to a CF rig and cleaned up racing in the Carib circuit. You guys out there??

Mike From Storm Svale.

14 October 2013 - 22:16

Hi guys, please do not feel insulted because I am just friendly joking but:
how comes no-one suggested setting up a pair of foils under one of our beautiful classics S&S Swans?
Whoknows, she might become a peer competitor of the floating machines whizzing in the America´s Cup!

Forgive me: I could not resist!!!
...just friendly...
:-)
Daniel, 411/004

03 November 2013 - 14:46

Dear Ross and Mike You are right that rigs are taller now. You could either stay with the masthead concept, or go fractional. In some cases the foretriangle has been retained, and only the mainsail luff extended. If the extension then is a metre or so you can probably still tension the forestay with the backstay, if you go higher the runners will be essential for getting a tight headstay. There are various criterions for how much extension to choose - appearance, stiffness in a blow, light weather performance, achieving same characteristics as some known boat, etc. Assume you will go to double spreaders, then the chainplate dimensions need to be checked as the load distribution in the shrouds changes, and different shroud sizes are probably required. Kind regards Lars

Thank you so much for the input-all good points and plenty to think about.I will also ask Nautor Swan what they recommend.
Regards ross norgard

Sailing on the Swan river between Perth and Fremantle

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0