Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - stern and rudder modification to Swann 44
20 August 2007 - 18:09
#1
Join Date: 20 August 2007
Posts: 2

stern and rudder modification to Swann 44

I have heard that several Swan 44s have had their stern sections and rudders modified ( the latter to a spade rudder) in an attempt to make them more stable downwind. Does any one have experience with this?

Nicholas

25 August 2007 - 22:22
#2
Join Date: 12 August 2007
Posts: 4

Nicholas,
I recently contacted Goetz boatyard:

http://www.goetzboats.com/

with the same question you're asking. It is my understanding that they had gone this modification to a number of 44's in the late 70's. They forwarded my request for information to Jim Taylor, and his answer is as follows:

Your note regarding Swan 44's was forwarded to me by Goetz Custom.

I have designed a number of stern modifications to 'skeg-rudder' boats,
including Swan 44's, Seguin 44's, and Tartan 41's. The changes have
involved removing the original rudder, sawing off the skeg, and fitting
a free-standing spade rudder.

The impetus for this change in each case has been to increase
efficiency(and performance), and not to correct a serious control flaw and/or
safety issue. It was not that the boats were out of control in their original
configurations, it was just that steering them was inefficient, and
performance suffered. It is also fair to say that the biggest
performance gains are upwind (when they are substantial!), and in maneuvers;
tacking, gybing, rounding racing marks, etc. In a straight line off the wind
the performance differences are more modest.

The Swan 44 is a good all around boat in its original configuration.
If the last 0.2 kt upwind matters to you, making the spade rudder modification
can make that good boat even better. If it does not, you can enjoy her
just as she is.

I hope this helps,

Jim Taylor
Jim Taylor Yacht Designs


Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Mark

03 September 2007 - 15:12
#3
Join Date: 20 August 2007
Posts: 2

Mark,

Thanks very much for this. i had heard that Swan's will not regard the boat as still a Swan 44 if this rudder mod done - and would not allow her to race in Swan events. I am not sure how bothered I am by this ( although the events I have done have been fun). However I have been more concerned by downwind directional stability than upwind performance ( which is very good anyway). in a breeze or seaway the boat slews around a lot. I suspect that much of this is the fault of the pinched stern - an unfortunate IOR trait - and there may be not much that can be done about this

Nicholas

05 September 2007 - 18:35
#4
Join Date: 20 February 2007
Posts: 119

My Swan 43 also exhibits similar characteristics when sailing off the wind.  I found that it takes awhile to get accustomed to the slewing around of the boat, especially when there are following seas.

I have also noticed that while the stern overhang gets thrown about by the following sea, if the helm is held in place, the boat will actually return back to its original course for the most part.  I have noticed some people try to correct the helm when the stern gets pushed and this results in the helmsman continuously chasing after the boat which is very slow.

If one is going to try to counter the slewing by using the rudder the helmsman must react ahead of the slewing action with just a small amount of counter steering.

I agree with you in that upwind and reaching the rudder is more than adequate and pleasantly balanced. 

For people steering these older boats it may be helpful to try to understand the effects of the long overhangs sitting above a short waterline and the dynamics this causes in a following sea condition.  I have never had any saftey concerns at all with my rudder configuration, which is the original skeged unit in its original location.

Regards.

Hiro

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Threads : 1804
  • Posts : 10761
  • Members: 862
  • Online Members: 0