Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - 411 rudder fairing cracks
16 December 2013 - 17:11

411 rudder fairing cracks
Hey folks,

I need to fix these cracks, which looks easy enough. My questions is, "Are these normal?" Should I be checking the rudder post for problems?

Don, 411/11 Zoė

17 December 2013 - 20:21

Don
S&S Swans have skeg rudders, and the skeg is the structural component taking the bending loads. The rudder post takes the torque loads.
Cracks in the fairing pieces are cosmetic and probably related to the materials/methods used, but if the cracks extend onto the skeg/hull transition thorough inspection and repair is recommended.
The slots between the fairing and rudder blade appear to be fairly big in the photos, for good rudder performance they should be smaller. Turn the rudder hard over, and check if the fairings can be extended without touching the blade.
Kind regards
Lars

17 December 2013 - 22:28

Thanks, Lars.

This is exactly what I needed. It doesn't look like the cracks are anything more than cosmetic. This is an early 411 hull with the extended skeg. I'll check to see if I can extend the fairing to close the gap. Is there a good method to do that like a foam filler and wrapped fibre?

Don

17 December 2013 - 22:30

Actually the skeg may be the same length as the original, but the rudder has been extended.

Don

18 December 2013 - 10:30

Don
Suggest you check whether the extensions can be glued/screwed to the inside of the present fairings. FRP or other sheet material which can be glued and painted would be fine.
Kind regards
Lars

20 December 2013 - 22:06

Don, why don't you fix a flexible cover over the slot like you see on modern yachts.
My rudder blade frequently cracks at the point where the rudder is attached to the stainless tangs. So we patch up. We have found that the larger area around the stainless tangs you expose the longer the repair lasts. Usually about three years then the strains break the repair and we start again.
Taking the rudder off for a good overhaul is worth considering, replacing the bearing with deralin ones rather than the original nylon. It has a better expansion co efficient so does not swell as much when in the water. You can also repair the skeg and rudder better. It takes about a day to get the rudder off.
John B
411 010

21 December 2013 - 15:59

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the tips. I've got a little time to plan my strategy before the weather warms back up.

Don F

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0