Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Swan 44/014
17 January 2014 - 14:32

Swan 44/014
Happy New Year to everyone!

My reverie on owning a S&S Swan has taken a dramatic step towards reality. I have paid the deposit to the broker and signed the contract. This is for the 44/014 Previous called “Four Winds”

Does anyone know more about this yacht? I presume that the name “four Winds” is the second name when she had an Italian owner?

The production of the Swan 44 started 1972 (sometime in the last half part of the year). The sales paper claims she is from 1974? I found it a bit strange and would have thought it was built in 1973? There is no brass plaque; I guess it is built before that was introduced.

Now the commissioning work is ahead as she have been standing unused ashore for more than three years.

No one more than you good people know how exciting this is for me!!

Kind Regards

Bjorn

17 January 2014 - 18:01

Dear Bjorn,

Four Winds II is the original name, if you let me know your email I will get you in touch with the pervious owner

Fair winds!

matteo (38/067 Only You)

18 January 2014 - 12:06

Hi Bjorn, If you have any refit questions about the Swan 44 we are always happy to help you. We just refitted ours in 2012-2013. Sportif greetings, Ice Swan 44 / 038 - RepoMan

19 January 2014 - 19:21

Bjorn:

I wanted to welcome you to this great group, and to congratulate you on getting your beautiful boat. I am the current caretaker of 411 #41, the Corazon. Since I was a teenager I have been in love with these S&S Swans, and getting one of my own is no question, aside from having my kids, and the other close and special human relationships (family and friends and that extends to others in this group too), one of the absolute highlights of my life. Further, the tremendous pleasure I have derived since in sailing her is everything I had hoped for and dreamt of for the many years I sought after my Swan. These boats are really the best - solid, safe, great lookers inside and out, and great sailing boats. I have beaten many a newer, lighter boat and if it comes to a hard blow, there's nowhere I'd rather be than on my Swan. She has shown me many times already that she can take whatever comes.

You will discover that this forum holds a wealth of support for every item you might possibly need to know about. We have a great list owner (Matteo), who not only runs this list, but also organizes regattas and social gatherings that are really great, as well as a superb technical expert (the Professor, a retired key man for many years at the Nautors yard where our boats were built - he has an incredible wealth of knowledge of these boats in fantastic detail), and the rest of the owners have lots of knowledge, too.

I am no one special, just another guy with a great boat, but just the same, I would like to personally wish you and your family and sailing companions all the best in the coming years with your new boat. I sail out of Rhode Island, on the north east coast of the US. I intend to get her across to the Med in the near future, this season or the next maybe. Should we meet on the water, perhaps we can have a friendly race to the nearest mark for a drink and a cigar.

Until that time, all the best to you,

Geoff, Corazon, 411#41

21 January 2014 - 12:47

Gents,

Thank you very much for the information!

I have an endless list of questions but I’ll post them little by little.

The first project is to get all installations and equipment ready for the 2200 nm home journey from Holland to south France.

I’ll keep you all posted

Kind Regards,

Bjorn

24 January 2014 - 00:28

Geoff has perfectly described the ultimate sensations in sailing and owing these S&S boats even if at the beginning after the purchase, lots of money, time and efforts are due to change parts, maintain or refit the boat.

When you buy a 40 yrs s/y some bad surprise are always behind the corner but luckily the Nautor's strength can be of a good help!

As a 44's owner I personally welcome Bjorn on board....I found her perfect even for solo cruises! ;)

I invite you all in Portisco (Sardinia) for nice cruises together.

Alberto
Pippus 44-011

solo winter cruise in central Med

24 January 2014 - 00:44

Bjorn this is my personal tribute to my 44.

http://youtu.be/ErTFRHmCs1I

Alberto
Pippus 44/011

24 January 2014 - 08:28

Dear Alberto,

Thank you for your comments!

I have sent you a PM regarding your experiences from the renewal of the teak deck.

I have seen your video - very inspiring! We are going to cruise in the same area.

This ID number plaque you have in Pippus. Where is that located? I cannot find any ID number on the 014?

Kind Regards

Bjorn

24 January 2014 - 08:48

You can find the ID plaque on top of the bulkhead above the engine. Swan 44 ID plaque. There is ours located.

24 January 2014 - 12:54

Thank you for the reply.

I am awar of the normal location for the plaque.

But nothing on this one?

Regards,

Bjorn

No Plaque ?

24 January 2014 - 13:00

Dear Bjorn,

that's right, this is where the plaque normally is.

I think Four Winds, as one of the very firs 44's, should have the aluminum plaque and not the brass one, and maybe this is on the locker on port side.

If still there...

Fair winds!

matteo (38/067 Only You)

24 January 2014 - 13:07

Thank you for the comments!

Yes 014 is one of the early ones.

That was the reason for my question to Pippus as his 44 is some month younger.

I will have a better look next time I visist the yacht.

Cheers,

Bjorn

24 January 2014 - 21:12

Hi Bjorn,
I confirm you that Pippus has only the aluminum one in the aft locker right back of the kitchen stoves.

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 2