Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Paddle wheel/transducer location
27 January 2014 - 16:58

Paddle wheel/transducer location
So I have been convinced to get rid of all the old vintage electronics. Its a bit sad as I had hoped to keep them but it might end up being a lot of work. Anyway I had already bought new B&G stuff.
Now I intend to fill the old through hull holes and make a new one for the new Speed, depth, temperature triducer. One person has suggested to put this on the centre line in front of the keel.
Anyone have some suggestions?
Thanks
Fletch

28 January 2014 - 09:54

Hi Fletch
I had the original B&G instruments on my boat. They all worked perfectly except the depth sounder which constantly gave very erratic readings and several attempts at finding the fault failed last year. There were two transducers one each side of the keel. I installed a new B&G depth gauge with the transducer immediately in front of the keel. It also comes with a paddle wheel and a speed gauge. When the new hole was made the fibreglass to the front of the transducer had to be built up very slightly so the transducer points directly downwards. If it had been installed in line with the contour of the bottom of the hull the transducer would have pointed slightly forward giving a false reading. Anyway, it works perfectly, my only regret is that the gauge does not look the same as the original ones as it is digital and not analog
Happy Sailing
Tom Barth
Pandra
38/111

28 January 2014 - 13:25

We too replaced the old B&G kit some years ago. (We managed to sell all of it to help cover some of the costs for the new kit.)

Ours originally had two wheels; port and stbd fwd of the keel, connected by a heel switch. The switch would direct the wheel furthest in the water (leeward side) to the instruments.

Due to interior access and risk of damage during lift out, we placed one single one just aft and to stbd of the leading edge of the keel. (Easy access as this sits under one of our saloon bunks.)

In hindsight this was a mistake because it now reads fairly differently depending one what tack you are on. This is due to the flow over the keel and the effects of leeway on that flow. I knew it would, but didn't realise how much, circa 1-2 knots closehauled in a good breeze with the toe rail buried. As we mainly cruise it doesn't really matter, although it is annoying!

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0