Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Whats in a name?
01 March 2014 - 20:40

Whats in a name?

Thought people might find this interesting!!

We have been re-varnishing the saloon and in removing all the trim have found a number of different build numbers 16, 17 and 20 and names Salong and Aker.

We are hull number 018, and as far as I know her first owner named her Yeti III, she was then renamed Sarah Lang, then Tiderace II. There might be another name/owner in there but I'm not sure.

We have been told she was the boat used for the brochure at the time, so there might have been some haste in getting her ready? Or it was a Friday afternoon after a vodka lunch?

Regardless her new varnish looks fabulous, ready for sunny season of sailing!

02 March 2014 - 07:46

I don't speak Finnish or any other Scandinavian language, but "salong" might be the saloon, and "akter" sounds similar to the German word "achtern" which means "aft". Lars will know for sure. Maybe you found notes where the pertaining parts were to go ... our ship is full of them.
best,
Martin (48/039)

02 March 2014 - 19:25

Dear Adrian
This has been brought up before on the Forum - the numbers marked on interior parts do not always match up with the hull number. The reason was tight schedules in series production, when the parts were identical the item closest to hand was sometimes taken.
Martin is right, akter means aft.
Brochure photos were taken on early hulls, other suggestions are sales talk.
Kind regards
Lars

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0