Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - WC vented loop and sea water filter
04 May 2014 - 16:04

WC vented loop and sea water filter
Our original toilet was replaced with a Jabsco before we bought the boat. When leaving the lever of the Jabsco to the left, the bowl slowy fills with sea water, and then overflows at some point. I have the impression that the bowl rim is just slightly below the waterline, otherwise this would not happen. I wonder if the original baby blake was a bit higher?

We always close the sea cocks when we leave the boat, but once in a while friends are using it. In order to avoid accidents I have now fitted a vented loop on the intake side, which solves the issue.

Also, the sea water filter for the engine is right next to the seacock. Modern boats tend to have it above the waterline. This is not straightforward to achieve on our 411. The only benefit I see of having it above the waterline is that it is easier to clean the filter, since it is not necessary to close the seacock. Any views?

Christian IF 411/028

05 May 2014 - 19:15

Chris, I had the same problem but fitted the new locking pump on the Jabsco toilet which fixed the problem. If you have the time and energy fitting an anti syphon on the shower sump discharge is worth considering.

I also replaced both my bilge pump strum boxes this winter as the integral non return valves leaked. It has made a great difference to the efficiency of the whale pumps. On the external pump which has the longest pipe run I also fitted a non return valve on the pipe as it comes through the aft bulkhead.

John B 411 010

07 May 2014 - 08:09

Thank you John - strum box verification is now on the todo list. I watched Robert Redford in All Is Lost pump for one day at the helm with what looked like the same Whale Gusher that we have. That he first needed to prepare a wooden stick as replacement for the metal lever he had lost was to show that he like many sailors had started to rely completely on electric power.

Christian

07 May 2014 - 15:44

Chris.

We have a Vetus water strainer fitted to the engine cooling water intake, on our 411. the strainer is located in the locker above the engine compartment, in the aft cabin. it fits neatly in the lower part of the locker and is above the waterline so can be cleaned without closing the seacock, as designed. this has a much greater capacity than the older type strainers fitted adjacent to the seacock. It can also be checked much more easily.

Paul .

Hierro 411 042

07 May 2014 - 16:36

Paul,
the locker you mention is quite far from the original intake seacock and the engine pump; I am very interested in knowing how you re-arranged the hoses.
Daniel, 411/004

08 May 2014 - 12:12

Daniel.

Yes, the intake hose run is longer than the original. The hose runs from the seacock, following the original route through ther engine compartment bulkhead, then down the starboard side of the engine, to a position at the stbd, aft end of the box. It then rises into the locker. The return follows a simlar route back to the pump inlet. The strainer was fitted when the original Perkins was in installed. I have replaced it with a Beta 50 and kept the same arrangement. It obviously takes up some space at the bottom of the locker however I think it is woth the loss for the improved filtration.

Regards

Paul

08 May 2014 - 16:51

Paul,
I also have considered installing a Vetus water strainer on our 41, but I am slightly worried about the life expectancy of the impeller of the water pump, if it happens to suck air each time the engine starts. I know it is a syphon but...? Any problem on your side with the pump's impeller?
Many thanks.
Philippe 41/022

08 May 2014 - 17:48

Phillippe.

You are correct there must be more resistance on the pump suction due to the longer hoses. However the Vetus is sealed, unless you remove the lid for cleaning, so there is little air to be drawn into the pump.  If you watch the water flow through the transparent lid, there seems to be no delay to the flow, on starting the engine.  I have always changed the impellor as a precaution every year. There seems no additional wear with the Vetus unit.

Regards

Paul

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 1