Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - I need help removing bolts for traveler on a 411
18 May 2014 - 01:17

I need help removing bolts for traveler on a 411
I'm re-caulking the teak deck on my boat. At the moment, I'm working on the bridge deck. I have everything off except for the mainsheet traveler and the base for the winch. The screws/bolts will not budge. I've even used a 1/2 m (20") extension-no luck. I can easily loosen similar bolts everywhere else on the boat like genoa tracks and cleats.

At first, I thought these might have a nut and backing plate on the back side so I took a section of headliner off. The bolts don't go through. They must be set in a type of caulk that has hardened over the years.

Lots of boats have had their decks completely removed so there must be an easy technique to loosen the bolts. Suggestions, please!

Thanks,

Don, 411/11

18 May 2014 - 13:21

Dear Don
It is not the caulk, but corrosion between the stainless screws and the aluminum back-up plate which made the screws freeze in the threads.
It is suggested you try with an impact screw driver in combination with cooling of the screw to make it shrink. Dry ice is one possibility, but liquid nitrogen would be much colder if you can get hold of that.
Kind regards
Lars

19 May 2014 - 00:21

Thanks, Lars

I tried a manual impact driver. I could rent a pneumatic one. I'll also track down some dry ice or liquid nitrogen.

Best,

Don

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0