Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Keel Bolts and General Topics on Keel - Swan43 - Keel
30 July 2014 - 21:02

Swan43 - Keel
Hello to everybody

I’m the owner of “Borderline”, Swan 43 (hull number 21)
The boat is getting old after long time of navigation and I’m planing to do a complete refit.
I want to take the boat out of the water for a long time and, slowly slowly, take care of the boat. The idea is bring the boat to my garden and do the refit for myself, it will be a long and big job and I will need a lot of help and advices. That’s why I started to search around and I finded this association, I already toke some information from you, so thanks a lot!
To transfer the boat I need to take out the keel. I’ve seen a post in the forum where you talk about the keel bolts but I didn’t understood exactly if, a part from the “vertical bolts” that might be 14 (at least) of them, there are some “transversal bolts” reachable from the outside of the hull.
I don’t have any drawing of the boat, just the ones I get on this web site and I’d like to know the hight of the keel to talk with the truk company and decide the dimensions of the truk, so if any one of you already took out the keel from a 43 or know any information and wants to share it, it will very helpfull for me.

Thanks a lot

Borderline

31 July 2014 - 06:14

Hi Borderline,

I am currently re-fitting my old 43 (Firebrand II, hull 41).  It is as you say a long process.  Fortunately, I was able to transport Firebrand from Sydney to her new home in Melbourne (900 km) without having to remove her keel.  There's more than enough to do without adding keel removal and replacement, particularly as the keel and keel bolts show no evidence of any movement, or deterioration.

Good luck with it.  I'll look forward to hearing about your progress.

Best regards
Andrew

(Firebrand II, 43/041)

31 July 2014 - 19:07

Dear Borderline
The thread you refer to is probably dated 12 April 2013. The keel bolts are vertical, and have nuts at both the upper and lower ends. The lower end nuts are found in pockets each side of the keel.
The height of the lead keel is about 1 m, if you take it off for transport the height is reduced by roughly this amount.
Would appreciate to hear how many keel bolts you find.
Kind regards
Lars

11 August 2014 - 19:49

Hi Andrew

I agree with you, I prefer to avoid to remove the keel, but I think Australia is not like Spain. We have a lot of bridges, power lines, etc... and the boat with the keel might be too much. I'm working in that, let's see...
By the way, your boat is still out of the water? Or do you know the height of the boat? (from the bottom of the keel to the top of the deckhouse?)
It looks like I can not go over 4 meters.

Thanks!

Borderline

13 August 2014 - 18:26

Dear Borderline
The height of the Swan 43 is 4.3 m, with deck gear removed 3.8 m. To this the height of the trailer needs to be added.
Pls note that some bow down attitude might be beneficial on the trailer.
Kind regards
Lars

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0