Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Paint or gel coat
05 November 2014 - 13:13

Paint or gel coat

I rebuilt the hull of my swan 38. I hesitate between awlgrip paint and new gel coat
What do you advise me?
thank you

09 November 2014 - 17:31

Dear Cocatrix
There are earlier posts on this subject.
Generally it can be said that Awlgrip lasts longer than gelcoat, but with Awlgrip it is very difficult to repair scratches.
Kind regards
Lars

10 November 2014 - 09:05

thank you professor
I'll look at the other post on the subject but I had several reviews say that painting is better, I hope I do not regret.

17 November 2014 - 10:57

What about coating with vinyl? This seems to be in fashion and is cheaper and supposed to last 10 years.

22 November 2014 - 23:00

John, I have coated a car in vinyl and it was fine for that, but I would consider it not suited for normal cruising where the hull has to take chafe from fenders and other things. Fine for a sponsor's livery in my opinion but not a long term competitor to Awlgrip or other hard finishes. Gavin

23 November 2014 - 13:05

Gavin, I am told this is now all the rage for newly built yachts. Manufacturers now only offer white as a gelcoat finish so you have to spray your new yacht once delivered if you want a different colour or have a vinyl wrap. Sounds a bit like the old Ford Motor company "you can have any colour as long as its black." The vinyl wrap option looks interesting as well as giving owners a chance to be creative.

23 November 2014 - 18:41

Yes it might provide more creative options but I wouldn't want it as after one rough night alongside it can be very damaged and ready for DIY patching using the spare film that the firms usually supply.

On the road I had my Landrover done from new with a picture of the ski resort of Tignes and it lasted for 3 years. Fortunately we don'tt moor with fenders rubbing in the Landrover!

20 January 2015 - 14:34

We had our Swan sprayed a couple of years ago. There were two basic paint systems, (I cant recall off the top of my head the trade names as international/awgrip are now one and the same.) but one was hard wearing but difficult to repair, whilst the other was soft and easy to repair.

We went with soft and easy to repair. It is soft. We hang the fenders over the stern when sailing and this has shown some signs of chaffing on the paint, although I'm told it will polish out.

I have seen boats vinyl wrapped, there is a lovely 6 metre in Hamble called "Mackerel", the wrap is pearlescent fish scales; looks amazing. That said, I would agree with previous post in that I would think its fine if you just race/dry sail, but not hard wearing enough for everyday cruising.

I would be interested to know what re-gelcoating actually is. I've heard off it, but must admit to not knowing the process/material etc?

Cheers
Adrian
(Tiderace II)

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0