Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Where to buy IC 531 Zinc Silicate, or similar
18 November 2014 - 13:57

Where to buy IC 531 Zinc Silicate, or similar
Dear friends,
I would like to treat the steel beam in the bilge for corrosion. (The galvanised beam holding the keel and support the mast step)

Back in 2011 Lars recommend some zinc silicate named ‘IC 531’

Does anyone know where I can find this paint in Europe? Or
similar product?

Kind Regards

Bjorn 44/014 ‘Four Winds’

18 November 2014 - 20:18

Dear Bjorn
Major paint manufacturers like International deliver such paint to commercial ships. Suggest you check if available for your purposes.
Kind regards
Lars

20 November 2014 - 14:37

Thank you very much for the answer.

The reason for my (maybe stupid question) is just that all searches I made on the internet including “IC 531” only refers to some technical papers but never to a specific product.

At the other hand just searching on “Zinc Silicate” many different products are available but the IC 531 is never mentioned?

Can anyone recommend a zinc silicate primer?

Should it be:
- two component epoxy?
- Inorganic?

What properties should I be looking for?

How to navigate in the jungle of corrosion preventing primers?

Thank you very much in anticipation

Bjorn,

21 November 2014 - 10:38

Dear Bjorn
It is likely that the manufacturer of IC 531 is not in business any more.
Would suggest that water based is preferable when applied inside the boat.
For example this report points out important differences
Kind regards
Lars

International Journal of Chemistry; 2013[02]
Different studies have been done to investigate these coatings [4-11]. In 1970, there was a development that should have shaken up the coating world. NASA was awarded a patent for “high ratio” waterborne zinc silicate. This is basically the same chemistry as normal waterborne zinc, but the potassium silicate is preprocessed to increase the ratio of silicon to potassium from 3.2:1 to 5:1 or higher.
This increases the number of reactive silicon groups which means (a) curing is faster, (b) the resulting matrix has fewer hydroxyl groups than ordinary self-cured, producing a matrix that is very close to the original post-cured. Most importantly, this product can be applied in thicknesses up to 200 microns without mud-cracking. Finally, our experience is that with just a little care, high ratio bonds to itself, and thus can easily be touched up. You still need excellent surface prep to get the steel and silicon to bond, and you still need reasonably low RH and a decent temperature to get a proper bond

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0