Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Swan 38 front cabin
01 December 2014 - 20:13

Swan 38 front cabin
Dear Friends,

There has been some threads related to the berthing arrangements and thus I wanted to share some photos of my front cabin layout with you.

My objective was to create a highly comfortable 'queen sized bed' and replace the original pipe berths. During the planning phase I realised that it was mandatory to cut away a piece of the bulkhead in order to maximise the available space. Otherwise I was able to keep everything as original.

The result of this modification is even more satisfied owner of a beautiful Swan 38 - and good night sleeps.

Fair winds!

Esko H.
Nobile, 104/116

06 December 2014 - 16:19

Dear Friends, There has been some threads related to the berthing arrangements and thus I wanted to share some photos of my front cabin layout with you. My objective was to create a highly comfortable 'queen sized bed' and replace the original pipe berths. During the planning phase I realised that it was mandatory to cut away a piece of the bulkhead in order to maximise the available space. Otherwise I was able to keep everything as original. The result of this modification is even more satisfied owner of a beautiful Swan 38 - and good night sleeps. Fair winds! Esko H. Nobile, 104/116

Hi
It looks great.
I have the original layout with pipe cots and was contemplating something similar. My problem is that I have the anchor chain locker and windlass just forward of the hatch. Did you have the same situation is so how did you alter it.

I have not yet worked out a solution to keep the chain off the deck.Salamanda 101

07 December 2014 - 09:31

If you would like to have a double berth the chain pipe can be made removable. It would be advisable to put it in place at sea, as some water probably will enter through the deck fitting, unless you make very efficient sealing arrangements
Kind regards
Lars

07 December 2014 - 10:30

Dear Esko, Nice job on the bunks in the fore cabin !I would be interested to hear how this works in a practical sense. Have you lowered the forward ends of the bunk and if so why? How easy is it to get into the bunk now, do you require a step? and is it possible to access the sail bins without dismantling the filler piece?
Rob.
Sarabande. 47/029

08 December 2014 - 17:31

Thank you for your messages!

Salamanda: I didn't have a windlass nor an anchor chain locker as you have, so I didn't have any issues with those.

Rob: Probably you can see from the first picture that I didn't touch to sail bin walls. I (well not really me, but a professional boat carpenter...) only cut away the (beautiful) curved piece from the bulkhead (sorry Matteo!). That piece also supported the pipe berths and when it was gone I was able to lower the mattress level for about 15 cm without touching anything else. Then we added pieces to support the cover boards (similar as can be seen from the first pic).
The layout of the mattresses were designed according to the sail bin covers and thus it is easy to access the bins: the bin is directly under the mattress.
As the height was lowered by 15 cm it is quite easy to access the bed in general.

As said, I am highly satisfied with the result even thought we needed to make the modification to the bulkhead.

Fair winds!

Esko H.

Nobile, 38/104

09 December 2014 - 19:32

Many Thanks
At the moment I am taking off 20 years of electronics and rep-lacing with 2014 equipment and also having
a Cowes boat builder renovating the wood work, an old guy that has so much skill, it is starting to look new.

11 December 2014 - 16:42

I read with great interest how you had rearranged the front cabin on your Swan 38.
Interestingly last winter I also remodelled the front cabin in my S&S Swan 40 as I also removed the pipe berths in order to get more space and more comfortable berths.
Like you I lowered the berths about 15 cm in order to get more comfortable berths where you now can sit under deck; The port berth was made broader, which is easily done as there is the "wide" bulkhead to the toilet without destroying the nice opening to the saloon and made the berth “captain sized”. The space underneath is now used for the toilet tank.

The starboard berth can be used for stowage and has a shifting board to keep the staff under control during sailing. Under the berth is room for ropes and extra equipments, tools etc. As we nowadays most are crusing we have two forestays, one for a roller genua and an inner roller for a self-tacking jib. Thus the only sails we need to keep under deck during cruising are spinnaker/gennaker, which fit in here. The starboard berth can also be used as a workbench when needed. In addition it is extensible and can be converted into a more comfortable berth than before when needed.

Under the “foretriangle” of the berths in the front cabin there is stowing room for extra anchor and ropes as before.

In addition, the earlier sliding forehatch, which was almost impossible to keep tight, is replaced by a Lewmar 70 x 70 cm medium profile hatch.

Thus our front cabin is now converted into a comfortable “captains cabin” and the only problem is now to defend the captains right to occupy this cabin.

Leif and S&S Swan 40 Sunniva V

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0