Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Maintenance valves Blakes
01 February 2015 - 16:49

Maintenance valves Blakes
During this time my boat is on the ground, and I am personally of small maintenance jobs. Today I cleaned and polished the inner cone of the two valves Blakes. I wanted to share the results with you.
ggalizia "Cial II" 41 S & S / 04

16 February 2015 - 21:08

So when you assemble these valves - which type grease should be used? We have this valve service in near future.

16 February 2015 - 21:51

I have tried different brands of grease and my conclusion is that, although any marine grade grease will fit, the original product suggested by the manufacturer is indeed the best. I acknowledge that not everybody agrees especially because of its higher cost.
Daniel, 411/004

16 February 2015 - 21:55

Dear Giuseppe,

Daniel is absolutely right, there is a grease which you can buy here: http://www.force4.co.uk/blakes-lavac-taylors-seacock-grease.html#.VOJY6MZrSbk

It is not really expensive (but must add shipping to Italy) and perfect for the Blake seacocks

Fair winds!

matteo

05 May 2015 - 13:22

During this time my boat is on the ground, and I am personally of small maintenance jobs. Today I cleaned and polished the inner cone of the two valves Blakes. I wanted to share the results with you. ggalizia "Cial II" 41 S & S / 04

Nice job! This year i must to replace the Blakes seacocks, on my 411. Anybody suggest me some reliable alternative to Blakes? The bronze, is always the best? Where can i buy them it in Italy (or on-line) at the best price?
Thank you all!
Carlo

05 May 2015 - 23:47

Nice job! This year i must to replace the Blakes seacocks, on my 411. Anybody suggest me some reliable alternative to Blakes? The bronze, is always the best? Where can i buy them it in Italy (or on-line) at the best price? Thank you all! Carlo

I hope that I will not be condemned for apostasy.
After a couple of handles broken, poor threads of the nuts and other unconvenients ( also due to poor maintenance), I have changed all the sea cocks. I have these:
http://www.forespar.com/marelon-marine-boat-plumbing.shtml
It is another world, will you please pardon me....
Matteo45
grampus 47/016

06 May 2015 - 07:59

Pardoning is difficult but always possible and desirable.
Apostasy? In this case, just an obvious fact!!!
:-)
Daniel, 411/004

06 May 2015 - 15:08

Dear Carlo
Bronze is recommended for the engine room where a fire may melt a plastic valve.
Suggest you check if Maestrini has a suitable model.
There are several manufacturers in the USA - Perko, Groco, Buck Algonquin, Apollo
Kind regards
Lars

08 May 2015 - 10:13

the topic of fire resistance of metal seacocks has been discussed in this thread, too:
http://www.classicswan.org/forum/post_thread.php?thread=874
I wonder, too, in how many cases are there throughhulls in an engine room. And, too, what is the resistance to melting for the plastics and rubber in a modern engine. In my boat I have bronze connections in a distribution box the area of the raw water filter and other connections to the generator and the dissalator.
Apart from this,I have plenty of piping in plastic or rubber, which should be, too, specified. And insulated wires,too. I do not know their resistance to melting.
I would like to add, for the italian and french market, mainly, that there is a french production, another 'plastic' producer, RANDEX, of reinforced seacocks. The distributor in Italy is www.vallescrivia.it and the responsible is Mr Zerbinati, who has a strong reputation in Italy, with regards to maintenance and surveys.
Fair winds, it is springtime now!
Matteo 45
Grampus 47/016

07 November 2015 - 16:14

Last week Cial II, was dry in the yard, and I disassembled valves Blakes. Place a hole conditions where after seven months at sea. Now I will clean the same as last year and after putting put the grease. Also place a photo of grease used by me.

ggalizia Cial II 41/004

11 November 2015 - 14:41

After 40 years we still have the original Blake bronze sea valves but for the toilet which corroded badly three years ago.
Using Blake grease allows us to keep the boat in the water for two years without problem.
So why change???
Also one needs to be very careful about the type of fitting used on the through hull part itself.
What are you going to use? If its metal watch for brass!!
To me Blake sea cocks are the best by far, and can still be found on the net.
The only problem: they need Blake grease!!
All the best.
Philippe 41/022

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 1