Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - A little Winter Deck Work!
10 February 2015 - 22:19

A little Winter Deck Work!
Dear All,

Alex, my son, and I began the deck work again after a long hiatus. The first day was 30 degrees f, the 20, the this past weekend a blistering 55 degrees f! The forecast for this weekend is too cold so the work will stop. Once we plug all the holes, I hope to lay two coats of primer to stop all leaks! Here are three pictures.

Fair Winds,

Chris Mabel's Casse Tete 43/003

Removing the hatch framework

Original Mastic! Still Gooey

Moving forward on Starboard deck

11 February 2015 - 18:53

Nice work Chris!

Keep at it, you'll get there.

Tonyh 44 004 Hatha

13 February 2015 - 10:24

Sniff at the old wood! Isn't the smell fantastic!

Keep going!

Toni

(toge, 38/113)

15 February 2015 - 17:48

Hi Tony,

Thanks. Sorry for my delay in replying; business has been trying!

I realize now that I had taken on too many projects at one time, partially because I did not recognize the extent of damage to the decks, and partially because I wanted to get sailing! So, now that I finally understand that no work below can really be completed until I stop the water intrusion completely, we will be working on the deck!

I'll keep you posted! The cleats are waiting for a permanent residence!

Chris Mabel's Cassse Tete 43/003

15 February 2015 - 17:54

Hi Tony,

While I agree in general that wood is wonderful and has a great aroma, this wood is past due! The original layer of teak is completely saturated with water; none of the original teak qualities remains. The second layer has lost all of its oil and is brittle. None of this wood has any smell.

I think a painted deck to start and then, later, after all structural, mechanical and cosmetic improvements have been completed, I'll think about a teak deck!

In truth, I'm running out of energy for this project - it's more than I had hoped for and even more than my worst case expectation.

Without the Professor, and the members of this forum, and my sons, I would have given up!

With warm regards,

Chris Mabel's Casse Tete 43/003

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0