Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Rudder stock deck fitting
18 April 2015 - 19:37

Rudder stock deck fitting
Does anyone have a drawing of the deck fitting assembly at the top of the rudder stock, beneath the helmsman's feet? I am not sure if all models have the same fittings as I have on my Sarabande - please see pictures below. I suspect I am missing a couple of components as the 3 pieces are all I have. The semi circular backing plate with 3 holes fitted below the deck with thru bolts from the deck fitting, but I am not sure how the larger semi circular piece joins in, and as I only have one, it doesnt make sense ( It has never been fitted during my ownership and was in a box of spares). If anyone can help, I would be very grateful.

Rob Mably Sarabande 47/029

20 April 2015 - 08:31

Dear Rob
There is a steering system drawing in the Owner's Manual, and it shows a vertical extension flange near the bearing at the aft end of the cockpit floor. The bigger piece is probably intended to be bolted to this flange, but additional parts would be needed. Suggest you check if the vertical flange is there.
This bearing does not carry big loads, the rudder skeg takes the main part
Kind regards
Lars

20 April 2015 - 21:56

Dear Lars,

Thank you for this. I have checked and there is no sign of any vertical flange beneath the cockpit floor, it all seems smooth and original. It seems that the piece I have is 1 of 2. i.e.. there should be a port and starboard support bracket which bolt together on the sides and held in position by the matching holes into the bearing housing thru bolted thru the deck. In any event I am re installing with some extra epoxy support as the aperture in the deck has become de-graded over the years and requires strengthening. As you say, the whole assembly is not particularly load bearing - more a strong housing for the emergency tiller!
Many thanks for your assistance.
With kind regards
Rob
Sarabande 47/029

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 1