Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - what prop is best 411
07 June 2015 - 12:46

what prop is best 411
Hello, i have a question.
I need to replace the folding propeller of my swan 411 / 02
because i mounted a new Engine (YANMAR 4JH5E KM35P) and this one is turning just opposite than the broken Perkins
i think a 3 blade fixed is good.
i will sail more, than using the engine.
54 HP and gear ratio is 2,61
Who knows, what prop would be fit best.
i measured under water, and thought 500mm diameter is good.
and what is better, to take a metric or imperial shaft?
how long is the original shaft?
and who knows the dimensions of the cutlass bearing for the shaft?
here i have a offer from a local prop builder in germany.
shaft, prop (hand made), nut and shaft koupling for 1500,- euro - is that a good offer?
with best regards, stefan

08 June 2015 - 11:49

Dear Stefan
The present folding propeller is left handed, and this is the same rotation direction as with the Yanmar. In principle the present propeller could be used, but this will not work well as there is too little pitch for the increased horsepower.
Why would you replace the propeller shaft? Unless damaged in some way it will last very long, as it is made of one of the strongest and most corrosion resistant shaft materials there is, denoted Aquamet 22. The diameter is 38.1 mm or 1½ inch.
The Cutlass bearing needs replacement only if there is undue play in it, this can be determined by pulling and pushing on the shaft vertically.
If you have a low budget it is suggested that you try to find a second-hand 3-bladed Max-Prop feathering propeller with about the same diameter as the present one, 21 inches, preferably from an older Swan, then the shaft taper would be right, 1:16. These propellers are very adaptable as they can be set to each rotation direction and to a number of pitches.
It is suggested that you read the Forum thread dated 8 May 2010 about propellers.
Kind regards
Lars

09 June 2015 - 13:21

We previously had a Maxprop. This had to be replaced due to wear on the gears. We have replaced it with a Featherstream by Darglow. Very impressed with this, and like the S/S blades and the substantial cost difference to an equivalent Maxprop.

09 June 2015 - 15:29

hello lars, hello boat 411
thanks for that information, i thought about a used max prop, but saw it in reality and doesn't looks good to me (weedy), in german, i would like to say "klapprig".
the original one looks good to me.

i inspected my shaft under water and after taking barnacles and other things away, i saw two one or two cent big holes on the shaft, also near the prop i saw some corrosion.
there was no zink anode on the shaft.
i think there is more damage (crack) on this, may be things i dont see.
in worth case i will lost the prop?

also with the new engine, i need a ca 5 to 10 cm longer shaft.

are you pretty sure about the direction of the spinning prop?
i thought reading it is turning anti-clockwise looking from stern.

i'm traveling at the moment in europe with my campervan.
but have to sort all that informations i need, to organize things i will carry back to grenada for the boat.

i will also build a arch for 4 solarpanels (400 wp) but for that i will open a new tread, questions about looking for a good shape and low builded, i will not have all the wight high.

stefan

09 June 2015 - 18:44

Dear Stefan
Thank you for the information.
Sounds like there has been an electrical leak through the shaft, needs to be checked that it is not still there.
Left handed means anticlockwise when looking from the stern. If the present propeller turns the other way it is not original, and the shaft may also have been replaced.
Kind regards
Lars

09 June 2015 - 18:49

ok, now i found it, crankshaft is rotating counterclockwise from stern, but
shaft is rotating clockwise viewed from stern.
so i need a "right" turning prop, is that right?

stefan

09 June 2015 - 19:08

Stefan
Suggest you verify the shaft rotation, can be seen on the inside.
Kind regards
Lars

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 1