Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Depth transducer
08 July 2015 - 18:52

Depth transducer
SWANIC has twin depth transducers with a gravity switch from B&G network system. Unfortunately the depth reading is sometimes on the most critical moments failing. I am thinking of changing the system with a new preferably wireless system.

Does anyone know if there are other depth transducers that fit the bronze through hull fittings?

Thanks,

Paul

13 July 2015 - 08:44

Hello Paulus.
As far as I am concerned, I have not been able to find a transducer which can be used in the original housing.
Second remark, is that on our Swan the transducers are positioned on each side of the keel, which I beleive is not the best solution. So we positioned our Raymarine depth transducer in front of the keel, close to the speed transducer.
And it works fine, which was not the case with the original Brooks...
All the best.
Philippe. 41/022. Soeur Anne.

13 July 2015 - 20:58

Did you remove the original B&G fittings and close the hull opening? Or did you just leave them in place and drilled an extra hole?

Paul

14 July 2015 - 09:22

Paul, as we did the osmosis treatment of the hull some 5 years ago we had the transducers holes closed by firberglass and resin. Before that we had left the transducers in place for many years.
Philippe

14 July 2015 - 13:25

We had the same set-up issues when we bought Tiderace II; ie twin depth transducers, with a switch between the two. Whilst ours worked we wanted to upgrade a part of the system. Unfortunately none of the old system was compatible with the new equipment, so this meant replacement of the entire system. (Typical electronics!)

We also looked for transducers that would fit the original holes but without luck.

As others have done, we removed the old transducers and fittings, had the holes plugged and glassed and drilled new holes. (We only went for a single transducer, just in front of the keel.)

As an aside, we did sell all the old B&G equipment either through ebay or word of mouth, so that did help with the cost of the new kit!

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0