Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - SWAN 41 Fresh water Plumbing diagram:
11 July 2015 - 15:27

SWAN 41 Fresh water Plumbing diagram:
On our Soeur Anne we are facing some problems with our foot pumps which tend to leak after a few years, and wonder if this not the consequence of the pressure of the lectric water pump putting too much pressure into them when used. There seems to be some none return valves around but we were unable to dissasemble them, and in any case have not a good idea of how the system is supposed to operate.
Has anybody got experience in the area, or could send a plumbing diagram which would really help??
Many thanks, and happy sailing.
Philippe V, 41/022 Soeur Anne

12 July 2015 - 15:41

I have the original plumbing diagram of my 411 and I expect it to be pretty similar to yours.
If you send to me your e-mail address I will be glad to forward it to you.
Daniel, 411/004

12 July 2015 - 18:54

Dear Philippe and Daniele
Nowadays non-return valves are installed after the foot pumps in pressure water systems, the purpose is to protect the foot pumps from the continuous pressure.
I am not sure if the 41s had these valves, as the foot pumps can be assumed to work as non-return valves too. Long exposure, however, tends to create foot pump leakage, and it would be advisable to have separate non-return valves.
A pressure water system with foot pumps is are a rare combination today. A good way to reduce water consumption is to switch off the pressure water pump.

Dear Matteo and all Forum readers
I would like to inform that this is my 1000th post. I joined the Forum January 2nd 2008, and this means I have contributed with an average of 2½ posts a week.
I consider this a useful and rewarding hobby, which can be enjoyed at home and conveniently also in other places with internet connection :-)
Thanks to all contributors for asking interesting questions, I hope we can continue building up a unique source for technical matters referring to S&S Swans.
Wishing you all a nice summer!
Lars

13 July 2015 - 08:34

Hello Daniele and Professor.
I have been communicating with our dear professor almost since the first day we bought our Soeur Anne in 1982... that's a long time away. We allways found his suggestions and answers to be an indispensable part of the pleasure of taking care of our Swan. So MANY THANKS PROFESSOR and wishing you many years of good health to continue with this forum!
Coming back to the original topic we agree that the best way to reduce fresh water consumption is to switch off the pressure pump wich we do most of the time. The second way is to have a very noisy pump which we also have! Nevertheless we cannot avoid some crew members taking showers, and using the pressure pump.This contributes to the failure of the gaskets of non return valves on the outlet part.
Thank you Daniele for the offer, but also why not put the document on the site??
Kind regards to all.
Philippe. 41/022 Soeur Anne

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0