Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Borg Warner transmission failure
20 July 2015 - 16:53

Borg Warner transmission failure
Yesteday when I tried to put in forward the engine of my boat I found the transmission lever frozen.
After some trials and a search in the Service Manual of the BW Velvet Drive Transmission Model 71C (on my dated but faithful Perkins 4-108) I finally was able to pinpoint the problem without ambiguity in a stuck "Forward-Reverse gear transmission valve".
According to the Service Manual, dismantling the culprit does not appear to be an impossible task although working from the aft cabin opening in such a cramped space will certainly not help. I just wonder if there is someone in the forum who had the same problem and solved it personally.
I will appreciate any kind of advice before I get ready to work at it.
Daniel, 411/004

22 July 2015 - 21:00

Hi Daniel, on 411/36 maintanance is rather scarce and light oil on spraybox on all moveable parts is used in engine room. They are strong gears must be. had emergency stop due draft, from abt 6.5 knots to zero in just a few boat lengths and entire hull trembled to avoid grounding. Thought this was the end of shaft and gear but it wasn`t. It might be a result of lack of recent manouvering that valves choke up. On norwegian coast there are quite some 4.108 and BW gears from professional use being replaced, maybe could help with spareparts or reconditioned gearbox, if should get to such repair.
Let me from this place too, take the oppurtunity to express sincere thankfulness to Lars, for lessons and the appreciation thereto, for having one of the Finland, and SS boats. Am at Forum every day to learn.
Have had my boat thirteen years but it started 35 years back when the `Berge Viking` 57 sailed here prior to Whitbread.
Thorbjørn/Ravn.

24 July 2015 - 11:54

Dear Thorbjörn
Good that you mentioned Berge Viking.
Would like to use the opportunity to point out here that the Swan 57 Berge Viking is a good reference for how long these yachts last even in hard use.
She has logged over 250,000 miles, much of it at very high or very low latitudes. This corresponds to 10 times around the world - an huge difference in comparison to the average pleasure yacht mileage. Her original aluminium mast was used until 2011, then it was replaced with a new one of the same material. The engine is the third one.
Kind regards
Lars

26 July 2015 - 11:03

UPDATE ON THE TRANSMISSION.
I did it and, following an old useful post I found on the net, it turned out to be a relatively easy job.
The hardest part was "gently tapping the shift spool (aka valve and spring assembly) out of the transmission casing" since gentleness did not produce any result. After that, all was straightforward and smooth. The forward/reverse option of my old faithful and beloved 4.108 is happily restored!
Daniel, 411/004, Luna Menguante

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 1