Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Deck Caulking
23 July 2015 - 19:26

Deck Caulking
Hello everyone.
I hope I am not starting a crazy thread, but I must say that this is a topic which starts to drive me crazy!
Soeur Anne's deck hs been replaced some 7 years ago.
First caulking was Sikaflex 290 DC. After 2 years it started to leave black marks in certain places, especially of course on our girl's beautiful bathing suits. My mistake was most probably to have cleaned it with a special product for teak deck after a rather rough winter.
Second caulking (in some places only) was with SABA caulk. Seemed to resits a little bit better. But now Saba has ended this production (too many problems??)
So now I am wondering whether to use: TDS - SIS 440 which is a US product, not needing any primer apparently,
or a German product by Nautichem: sealing compound type H, which seems to be silicone based, and eventually resists more to cleaning products, but very expensive.
Has any-one some experience to share in this matter or advice to help me choose the best solution.
I know, one should wash his deck only with sea water but when it gets too dirty... well I recognise my mistake.
Many thanks for your suggestions.
Kind regars, and happy sailing.
Philippe.41/022 Soeur Anne

24 July 2015 - 02:54

Hello Philippe

I used the TDS caulking on my new decks which I finished in Sept of 2011. It is also silicone based.

Easy to use, and to date no evidence of shrinkage, the seams are still perfect.The boat lives in hot, dry, Southern California sun.

Since our seams are so narrow, 3-4 mm, the tech representative at TDS told me I probably would not need the bond breaker tape that you will read about in their literature. Not using it saved a ton of work.

I am also using the TDS ECO cleaner. I was,(still am),apprehensive to use any cleaner other than salt water, but I have so far not been able to see any ill effects to soft woodgrain, aluminum, or paint. In fact there's no scrubbing, the cleaner does most of the work. I use a white Scotchbrite pad on a flat Doodlebug to lightly agitate.

Still keeping a close watch when I use the cleaner, (not very often).

Best of luck

Tonyh 44 004 Hatha

24 July 2015 - 16:16

Dear Philippe,

whatever will come out as a product for the best caulking: for cleaning purposes just apply "Boracol" on the teak at the beginning of the season and then just wait. No scrubbing, no washing. Sun and rain will do the work. Within 2 - 3 weeks the deck will be clean again and has got a nice silvery glamour. A Halberg Rassy owner gave me the hint some years ago. It seems that it is recommended by their yard. I have made very good experiences with it and do not bother about a dirty deck any more.  See www.boracol-shop.de for more details. The page is in Engish, German, Dutch und French.

Best,

Toni

(toge, 38/113)

31 July 2015 - 19:33

Hello everyone. I hope I am not starting a crazy thread, but I must say that this is a topic which starts to drive me crazy! Soeur Anne's deck hs been replaced some 7 years ago. First caulking was Sikaflex 290 DC. After 2 years it started to leave black marks in certain places, especially of course on our girl's beautiful bathing suits. My mistake was most probably to have cleaned it with a special product for teak deck after a rather rough winter. Second caulking (in some places only) was with SABA caulk. Seemed to resits a little bit better. But now Saba has ended this production (too many problems??) So now I am wondering whether to use: TDS - SIS 440 which is a US product, not needing any primer apparently, or a German product by Nautichem: sealing compound type H, which seems to be silicone based, and eventually resists more to cleaning products, but very expensive. Has any-one some experience to share in this matter or advice to help me choose the best solution. I know, one should wash his deck only with sea water but when it gets too dirty... well I recognise my mistake. Many thanks for your suggestions. Kind regars, and happy sailing. Philippe.41/022 Soeur Anne

Dear Philippe,this is only my personal opinion. Sikaflex is not worse than any other silicon based product. It might only be slightly more expensive. Their instruction is to never use any chemical product for cleaning the teak. Traditionally, rubbing lemon halves and spraying salt water would be enough. ..
I have tried several products, from marine specific products to home products as dish soap and chemical products as bleach or other alcali or oxalic acid. They all work fairly, only dilute to the right strength. There is only one essential must: wash and wash and wash again, the topsides too, with sweat water.And when the deck is again almost dry, so that other salts or soaps have come up, please wash again. Otherwise the caulk and the teak may become damaged. IMHO.
This with what regards the cleaning and the whitening of the teak.
With regards to the finishing with oil or other not water-based products it is very important afterapplication to wipe thoroughly the surface of the caulkings to eliminate any excess and never use too much product as some of the oil may penetrate in the cavity that to a small extent exists always between caulkings and the wood.

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0