Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Keel Bolts and General Topics on Keel - Keel bolts 411/02
09 February 2016 - 16:05

Keel bolts 411/02
Hello, We are now "on the hard".
When i bought my first boat the 411/02 i thought i would go sail on christmas 2 years ago. With already half a year of work on it I realized that was just impossible.
We are working since two seasons (six month's on and off) and i can say it´s getting better and better we just don't know when we will be really ready to go but it will come....
Five days ago we hauled out in Grenada and new surprise's and extra work appeared.
I guess we really love this boat with all the time, energy and money it takes.
But i say: after "A" comes B and C and D ( this is a German saying and means: ''if you start a project, do it until it's finished''.

Here is where we are at on the work and some questions:

The keel in the front has a gap of 5mm in maximum on a length of about 25cm. ( see pictures bellow )
Then it is only less than 1mm over 1,2 meter distance and only on the flange. Maybe I can put the ''scraper'' into the gap for 1 or 2 centimeter into the keel flange of this length.?

When the boat was in the slings, there was no extra gap in between the hull and keel. No movement from hanging to standing on the keel.

i tried to get the information in the forum, but looks like no body took the keel bolts out.
When I saw that picture on the forum from the ''proffessor'' of the corroded bolt, it really scared me.
The two first bolts under the mast step are still glassed over and the two last ones under the tunnel are not visible. I would like to see how they look like and it is necessary? Is it possible to take them out?

Does anybody have drawings of the keel?
I saw one small part from Daniele with dimensions of the keel and plug but not fully.

is the keel still safe?
i have no experience about this.
for that i made some pictures.

the rudder needs also love.
i think a nylon washer under the hinge would be fine ( see picture) it is hanging more down than originally.
how can I take the rudder out and fix that thing?

i really like this forum, it is very helpful and i appreciate the time that people spent to answer all the questions i have and also others.

Good wind and a ''hand size of water under your keels.''

Stefan

09 February 2016 - 16:07

09 February 2016 - 16:08

09 February 2016 - 16:10

09 February 2016 - 16:11

09 February 2016 - 20:57

Dear Stefan
It is suggested that you read this post to begin with.
http://www.classicswan.org/forum/post_thread.php?thread=882
Kind regards
Lars

11 February 2016 - 12:22

Dear Professor!
Thanks you for your reply! I did red the link you send me but seems like I didnt get the info about; "how to dismount" the Rudder. Did any one has a drawing "plan"of the rudder??

"Still working hard in the boat yard!"

11 February 2016 - 13:14

Dear Stefan
Pls look in the Maintenance Section for Skeg Rudder Removal
Kind regards
Lars

02 March 2016 - 15:46

Stefan, from looking at your pictures I would VERY DEFINATELY get a competant yard and marine surveyor involved. Then seperate your keel from the hull and withdraw all bolts and check for corrosion.

Then replace as required any bolts and re seat the keel. Take the time to repair any damaged GRP on the stub inside and outside. Do not repalce the cover over the joint as it cracks everytime you sit the yacht back on land.

This is not something to try and do yourself on the cheap!

John B

Swan 411 010    

30 January 2017 - 20:05

I had the keel taken off 411 42 due to a crack in the front less than the one shown in the pictures. The bolts had been glassed over from what I understood as built new yours seem not to be glassed so at a guess the keel has been off or tightened with the removal of the glass. I'm sure the prof will correct me if I'm wrong. It helped but did not solve the problem, one of the later owners had the keel taken off again at Hamble Yacht Services and I understand they found a void in the laminate under the keelbolts at the bow. This caused flexing however tight the keelbolts were I would suggest you check the laminate if you have the keel off. 

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0