Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - 38 Mast Winches & Companionway Steps
29 January 2008 - 18:38

38 Mast Winches & Companionway Steps

I would be grateful for advice on which Lewmar ST winches to mount on the (tall rig) mast winch pads  for 10mm Dyneema halyard handling. The welded pads appear to have the wrong angle for a suitable lead to the winches and are of a diameter that can only mount up to Lewmar ST 30s, which seem a bit underpowered. My intention is to fit applique winch pads.
Secondly, the rubber inserts, in the cast metal pads on the steps of the  companion way, have completely perished. Any information to source replacement inserts  would be very welcome.
Cheers
Nigel (Ellida 38/112)

01 February 2008 - 17:17

Dear Nigel

The original main halyard winch was a reel type winch for wire, requiring the pad to be aligned towards the halyard exit. This alignment is not suitable for an ordinary winch, which needs a level pad.

Referring to winch size, the main and spinnaker halyard normally use the same size winch. For the spinnaker there is originally a Lewmar 40 but if you consult the Winch Selection Guide in the Lewmar catalogue the suggested main halyard winch size now is 28/30. It is likely that Lewmar have been able to increase the efficiency of their winches since the 1970:s

For the rubber pads it is suggested you check whether Perko 1325 or 1043 would fit. There are also other similar steps on the market although I have no names

Kind regards

Lars

01 February 2008 - 19:11

Dear Nigel,
I have two Lewmar 30 ST on the mast, and they work very well. On my new deck plan (look at http://www.only-you.it) I am getting rid of all the winches on the deck, and I am working with the two 30ST and stoppers for all halyards. If you want to check my website, which is update on a weekly basis, you'll see what I am going to do (I've been advised by a professionist...).
Boat should be back into the water in about a month...will let you know if this new deck plan is ok or if I have to re-install two winches on deck
Fair winds!
Matteo (38/067 Only You)

03 February 2008 - 13:12

This thread reminded me that on my 411 the winch on the mast for the mainsail is still the original, perfectly working but non self tailing. I imagine that a self tailing winch would be a nice and helpful "plus"; did any of the forum members replace the mast winch of a 411? As most of the other winches are indeed self tailing, I wonder if there was a good reason for the original choice.

Regards
Daniel, Swan S&S 411/004, Luna Menguante

10 May 2008 - 19:56

Matteo,

You mentioned that you have 2 Lewmar 30 ST on mast. I have the same winch on starboard side of mast, and I am looking to put a winch on Port side of mast as well, but the existing base looks to small for a Lewmar 30 ST. Have you mounted your Lewmar 30 on the Port side of mast on the original base from that side? Or did you create a new base for this. Any pictures of your port side mast setup would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Nathan

10 May 2008 - 21:09

Dear nathan,
they have been fitted on the original welded plate and are exactly the right size (look at the above pics).
If you want me to take more pics, please do let me know, I will do next week
Fair wind
Matteo (38/067 Only You)

28 November 2013 - 13:53

Dear Matteo,

I tried to find photos of your mast layout (winches, clutches, stoppers, etc.), but I couldn't find any. Do you have any pictures available?

I am very interested to improve my own setup. Thank you in advance.

BTW: My existing winches were re-chromed. The end result was more than I could hope for. Price per unit was 125 eur (in Finland). The picture doesn't do justice to the perfect looks...

Saluti,
Esko

Nobile, 38/104

28 November 2013 - 17:29

Dear Nigel,
we have had the same problems with the original steps. We bought new ones from: www.toplicht.de , the metal frames are really good but the rubber was too smooth.
At the end we tried to substitute the white rubber with TBS-deck covering in light grey. That´s it!

Best regards from the baltic coast,

Klaus (Swan-38, 69/1976)

28 November 2013 - 20:09

Dear Esko,

what a great job on your winches!!!

I do not have photos of mast layout, but will take and post them during my Xmas holidays, which will be onboard

Fair winds!

matteo (38/067 Only You)

29 November 2013 - 11:17

Hi Esko,

Great looking winches! Could you tell us in which company you had them rechromed? I've been thinking of starting similar project with my winches as well.

Best,

TeemuP (Eleanor 43/014)

29 November 2013 - 20:07

Dear Teemu,

Re-chroming was made by this company http://www.niklaamorautio.fi/. It was is easy to send the winches by Matkahuolto (local Finnish bus agency...) to them. Please say greetings from me!

And thank you Matteo for your prompt reply! I remain waiting for more pictures.

Regards,
Esko

01 December 2013 - 09:29

This thread reminded me that on my 411 the winch on the mast for the mainsail is still the original, perfectly working but non self tailing. I imagine that a self tailing winch would be a nice and helpful "plus"; did any of the forum members replace the mast winch of a 411? As most of the other winches are indeed self tailing, I wonder if there was a good reason for the original choice. Regards Daniel, Swan S&S 411/004, Luna Menguante

Daniel:

Corazon has a self-tailing winch on the mast. I now also have an Andersen electric on the starboard side, just aft of the mast, which i use for the main halyard most often. Like Matteo, my boat has had many winches taken off. We have the primaries and secondaries in the cockpit, the mainsheet winch of course, the main halyard winch, and one each self tailer either side just aft of the mast - forward of these two we have a cluster of stoppers each side, so we can control now (6) lines using the two winches (originally it was (5), but we added one on the stbd. side for the main halyard, which, prior to the converting that winch to electric, was always winched on the mast). There have been one or two times in five years of sailing the boat where I wished I had a free winch forward, but only for a moment, because in fact I can do whatever I need to with what I have.

Fair Winds,

Geoff, Corazon, 411 #41

midships deck showing winch and stoppers

01 December 2013 - 12:57

Geoff,
the post you cite is very old because in the meanwhile I did change the mast winch with a selftailing and I am very happy with it. Indeed it is pretty necessary to make life easier and I was definitely convinced after I found an original interesting document from Nautor where it is written that the ST main winch was an optional at purchase time of the 411.
I reckon you found a very good compromise in modifying the deck arrangement because you were able to avoid the removal of the dorade boxes.
Daniel, 411/004

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0