Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - HAULING
29 February 2008 - 16:30
#1
Join Date: 21 May 2007
Posts: 73

HAULING

Dear Friends,

I am going to haul my 48' for the first time ( since I have her) and I have noticed that there is a big hook on the keel which is supposed to be used just for this purpose. Just above the hook  there is a hole on the ceeling which goes directly on deck. I understand that this hole  should be used to pass the "line" coming from the crane , to be able that to connect to the keel's hook

Did anyone of you used this system? are there any others hooks in the boat where to anchor different lines to keep the boat balanced while suspended (if needed)?

Thanks for your help.

 

Fair winds

 

Sergio                                                                                                                 

Clarion of Skye 48/042

 

29 February 2008 - 18:07
#2
Join Date: 29 January 2007
Posts: 1145

Dear sergio,
ALL Sparkman&Stephens designed boat have that hook, not only Swans. Rod Stephens wanted it because you are supposed to sail away with your boat, and as TraveLift, most at that time, were not so common, and you could be in need to houl her despite there is not a shipyard available, but EVERY commercial port has at list a crane to work on big carriers.
Anyway, there are not other hooks onboard, (I'd suggest you to hould Clarion of Skye with a TraveLift), if you want to houl her by that hook, there must be two man with lines to keep her by hand!
Fair winds!
matteo (38/067 Only You

  • Threads : 1804
  • Posts : 10761
  • Members: 862
  • Online Members: 0