Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Rendez-vous and Regattas - S&S Swan Rendez-vous
10 March 2008 - 14:49

S&S Swan Rendez-vous
Dear S&S Swan Owners and Friends,

what would you say if we organize the 2009 Mediterranean S&S Swan Rendez-vous at the Capraia Island (a magic small Island between Corsica and Elba), two days of parties, dinners (no races), friendship...?

It would be 25 and 26 June 2009

Waiting for your comments!

Fair winds!

Matteo

10 March 2008 - 14:53

Why no races?

sergio/Clarion of Skye 48-042

10 March 2008 - 14:55

Dear Sergio,

the Spirit  of the S&S Swan Rendez-vous is quite different from the Swan Cup, by the way we are not able to have proper ratings and proper race committee, we had many problems on the past RV, mostly with local organizers, and with some participants too, who were not satisfied; we are dealing with this event in our spare time, and are doing it just for the pleasure of doing it. It takes a lot of time and headaches, believe me!

It'll be a party for S&S Swan Owners, we'll organize great dinners with good local wines, a circumnavigation of the Island with a stop in Cala Rossa to swim and...don't know, we have a whole year to think about it!

For the race addicted there is the Mediterranean Swan Cup, with a special award for S&S Swans.

Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

10 March 2008 - 17:09

Matteo,

thank you for your answer.

I never participated to the Swan S&S Rendez-vous and I thought it was someting in between:  friendship, fun and a little bit of race as well.

I will be more than happy to join you next year, whatever the "formula" will be even if I  think that  racing sometimes helps  creating a " special"  atmosphere among sailors. I agree with you on the fact that the Swan cup is the dedicated event if you have reces in mind but at the same time our Rendez-voud could be seen as the ideal link for the ones who don't want to miss the possibility to mix the joy of sailing with a little bit of competition.

Looking forward to met you all at the next Swan S&S event.

Congratulations for this  new website.

Fair wind

Sergio (Clarion of Skye 48/042)

10 March 2008 - 17:20

Dear Sergio,

many thanks for your kind words. I know on my experience (three S&S Swan RV organized over the years) that is absolutely impossible to get the happyness from all participants, so I am just trying to get the (democratically speaking) best solution!

The circumnavigation could be on the first day, what about, on second day, to have "match races", (e.g the owner of a 48 who challenges a similar boat -no need of ratings-) between similar boats, friendly organized the previous evening on the dock...? We could organize a board on the quay, where everyone will offer a price for each race (a bottle of wine etc...).

Suggestions welcome!

Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

10 March 2008 - 17:29

Matteo,

this is a very good idea. Let me know if I coulb be of any help

sergio (Clarion of Skye 48/042)

10 March 2008 - 18:32

Dear Matteo,
Obviously it's a disappointment for us to see the Rendezvous become a weekend, and ever further away... The racing isn't an issue, as I'm sure the competitive spirit will be present regardless, but the length of the event seems so very short.
Whatever happens, we will try our hardest to make our way north for the early season in order to participate, hoping that a few more days find their way back into the program. Capraia is lovely, and would surely make a jeweled window for the event.
Realizing how hard it is to get things organized, we appreciate whatever you come up with.
BV
Jayne

11 March 2008 - 13:47

Dear Jayne,

at this moment nothing is closed, I am still waiting for a reply (actually I have been waiting for about 20 days...) from Marciana Marina boss, mr. Canovai (believe me, it's quite difficult to have a written answer to a straight question!),  we could start there on Thursday, have a dinner on the quay, the following morning sail to Capraia Is. (about 20/25 nm).

I would like to get rid of big sponsors, as they pay (e.g. for the berths) but then they want to decide for our RV, what we should and should not to do. My opinion is we should pay the RV with our own pockets (three nights and three dinners) so we'll be free to do what we want to do...

Fair wind

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

11 March 2008 - 15:44

Dear Matteo,
That certainly sounds like a better plan! It would definitely make those last 25nm a lot more interesting with the whole "family" (maybe having some good healthy fun racing with Sergio!). Can only hope that Mr. Canovai decides to collaborate...
We'll watch for updates!
BV
Jayne

14 March 2008 - 11:15

Jayne,

I  like the idea of a "healty race"  between Elba and Corsica islands and I am very happy to accept the challenge. Hope to meet you soon.

Sergio (Clarion of Skye 48/042)

05 June 2008 - 17:54

Dear Friends,
just spoke to a couple of restaurant owners in Capraia Island, the first one is "al Vecchio Scorfano" where we could have the first dinner and the second one "Al Saracino", on the top of the hill, a small hotel  with a splendid view on the marina.
They are happy to deal with us S&S Swan owners, and I will be very soon (July) in Capraia to start speaking  with them about menu, good wine and music, so...let's stay tuned!

Fair wind
Matteo (38/067 Only You)

23 July 2008 - 11:59

Dear Friends,

I have a meeting on Monday evening to start the "real" organization of the forthcoming 2009 S&S Swan Rendez-vous, stay connected, I will post news very soon.

In the meantime, a very happy sailing season to every S&S Swan Owner and Friend

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

• Threads : 1706
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0