Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - 411 Rudder Packing
13 February 2020 - 16:27

411 Rudder Packing

Dear All

My boat is presently out of the water for annual maintenance and I wish to repack the rudder stuffing box (preventative rather than a problem). Does anyone have a detailed drawing of how the stuffing box is configured. What is inside the top round threaded nut.

It would appear as if I may have to take of the quadrant to be able to undo the top threaded nut with the "C" spanner. Is this correct?

Does anyone have the dimensions and specification of the packing.

Any advise would be welcome.

Thank you

Regards

Paul Worthington

13 February 2020 - 18:13

Dear Paul

Here a useful thread     

https://www.classicswan.org/forum/post_thread.php?thread=471

Your packing size is 14 mm

Kind regards

Lars

16 April 2020 - 19:17

Lars

Thank you very much for the information.

I had to dismantle the top rudder bearing, the steering quadrant and the autohelm drive after which I was able to easily remove the nut in which the packing sits. What I found was that someone had previously just placed additional packing material in the "cap"and tightened it back down without doing the complete job.

After removing that material I found the original packing which was glazed after 44 years. With that then rmoved the job was a simple reassemly, provided one can get into the aft locker!

Thanks again

17 June 2020 - 05:07

Lars

Thank you very much for the information.

I had to dismantle the top rudder bearing, the steering quadrant and the autohelm drive after which I was able to easily remove the nut in which the packing sits. What I found was that someone had previously just placed additional packing material in the "cap"and tightened it back down without doing the complete job.

After removing that material I found the original packing which was glazed after 44 years. With that then rmoved the job was a simple reassemly, provided one can get into the aft locker!

Thanks again

Dear Paul and Lars

I am rehabilitating my 411/007 in the actuality and I have dismounted to check the rudder and the sector, I am sending you some photos.

Jose Manuel

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0