Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)
| S&S Swan General - 40 Crack on keel to hull |
|---|
|
Join Date: 09 November 2021
Posts: 49 |
||
|---|---|---|
|
40 Crack on keel to hull My boat is currently in italy and I am attempting to bring her in december to Portugal, where I will haul out and do a big work on the hull and paint water line. But there is a crack (20 cm) between keel and hull (normal I have been told) as keel bolts are ok and bilge is dry. Just for the 1000 miles passage I am thinking in applying Sika flex 291i or 292i. Just to protect from water geting in the epoxy. Any thoughts? Any other advice?
Duarte Champalimaud Star Swan 40 (47-051) ![]() Crack on port side |
|
Join Date: 03 March 2007
Posts: 243 |
||
|---|---|---|
|
Yes, these are relatively normal.. The separation you have I have seen before. When I get this on Stormsvale, I open it up, rough up the lead and hull with 40 grit and fair it with expoy filler. I remove any loose filler etc before fairing. If you dont it will require another fix relatively soon. I think I did it last time about 5 years ago.. Lars may have better advice. I suppose a flexible sealant may be better but it is key to get all the loose fairing away.
Have a nice trip... we are in winter prep mode here..
Fair winds
Mike |
|
Join Date: 02 January 2008
Posts: 1547 |
||
|---|---|---|
|
Dear Duarte
The recommendation is to also tension the forward keel bolts.
According to old information their size is M20. pls check. I can then give recommended torques. The forwardmost bolt may have a bottom end washer recessed into the leading edge
Lars
|
|
Join Date: 09 November 2021
Posts: 49 |
||
|---|---|---|
|
Thank you Lars as always. I will try to do that once I address the mast step. Although bolts a very well covered in some kind of rubber and will be a pity to unprotected them. I just want to put some kind of isolation in the keel to do the 1000 miles passage to portugal. Once here I will address properly as you say and with epoxy. many thanks for your time. duarte |
|
Join Date: 09 November 2021
Posts: 49 |
||
|---|---|---|
|
Hi Mike. thank you for your reply. Duarte |
- Threads : 1804
- Posts : 10761
- Members: 862
- Online Members: 0

