Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Swan 43 staysail chainplate.
26 March 2023 - 18:14

Swan 43 staysail chainplate.

Dear All

I have recently aquired the Swan 43 "Marianne". This is my first post.

I'm sailing singlehanded now and then and would like to exchange the large Genua for a Yankee and a staysail when cruising. The original sail plan shows that a staysail can be set "flying" from the chainplate 2m. aft of the forestay (bottom right in the picture). The chainplate has no steel stay under deck for additional support (apparently never was designed to), only the steel reinforcement in the deck.

Can I set a jib on a removable stay or is the setup only meant for reaching sails?

best regards

Jesper

26 March 2023 - 20:17

Hello Jesper:

On my Swan 43/46 I have added a st. stl. cable with turnbuckle connected to a padeye below the deck fitting (that you mention) down to the base of the forward bulkhead (this is the bulkhead that separates the anchor chain locker from the forepeak).  The geometry is similar to a bobstay for a bow sprit.  This below deck padeye has the same footprint and bolt holes as the deck fitting and is thru-bolted from the deck side and secured with nyloc nuts from below deck.

Without this added cable the deck makes a  noticeable "groaning" noise from the stress of the upward pull on the deck fitting and deck.

This deck fitting is not strong enough for a full size genoa or even a #3 genoa. It is really only for a reaching staysail flown from the staysail / topping lift halyard.  The other consideration is to remember the standard Swan 43 Nautor mast is not supported at the staysail halyard elevation by running backstays so the mast will not be supported correctly if a large sail is flown from this halyard.

Happy to discuss further if you have any questions.

Fair winds,

Hir Nakajima

27 March 2023 - 08:05

Dear All

I have recently aquired the Swan 43 "Marianne". This is my first post.

I'm sailing singlehanded now and then and would like to exchange the large Genua for a Yankee and a staysail when cruising. The original sail plan shows that a staysail can be set "flying" from the chainplate 2m. aft of the forestay (bottom right in the picture). The chainplate has no steel stay under deck for additional support (apparently never was designed to), only the steel reinforcement in the deck.

Can I set a jib on a removable stay or is the setup only meant for reaching sails?

best regards

Jesper

Dear Hiroshi

Thank you so much for your quick and exhaustive reply. I realise that my proposed layout will require too much change to the rig. I think I will add a removable soft cable furling jib (temporary solent rig) just behind the forestay in stead. The boat is already prepared for this with a deck fitting that is supported under deck.

Best regards

Jesper

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0