Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)
| Sail & Rigging - Roller furler boom conversion to slab reefing |
|---|
|
Join Date: 15 April 2011
Posts: 396 |
||
|---|---|---|
|
Roller furler boom conversion to slab reefing Dear all, I searched the forum and have not found what I need. I am planning to retrofit my original boom to accommodate internal reefing lines with rope clutches and turning blocks at the gooseneck. Lars and I had discussed this and he had sent me a picture of the new gooseneck but the clarity was not sufficient for me to deternine proportions and design. Has anyone done this and does anyone have pictures that I could use to help me and the machine shop design a beautiful and functional gooseneck? Thank you, Chris Mabel's Casse Tete 43/003 |
|
Join Date: 19 December 2019
Posts: 26 |
||
|---|---|---|
|
Hi Chris, Hope all is well with you. I have gone down a similar path, although we did not have the original boom (shame). Out of curiosity, is your original boom gooseneck assembly on the sail track, allowing tensioning like a cunningham? I requested a copy of the below photo from Hypatia Swan 47 (1st pic) & used a few other pics from a Swan 431 locally to us. The second photo is the gooseneck our dude fabricated for us. Fantastic job, very pleased. Can email you if a better resolution is required. Speak soon, Dan
![]() Hypatia Gooseneck (Swan 47) ![]() Our fabricated goose neck - (Swan 43) |
|
Join Date: 15 April 2011
Posts: 396 |
||
|---|---|---|
|
Dear Dan, Thank you for your reply and I apologize for my late response. Wow, that is a spectacular mast attachement. The pictures will be helpful to me. I have the original boom which was attached to the track on the mast - when I purchased the boat, the track attachment was bolted into the track and mast and the boom had reefing blocks screwed into the boom. I was worried about this set-up, not least because the cast, aluminum gooseneck seemed old and possibly fragile. So, after visiting several boats in Elba and taking a bunch of pictures, I have at least an idea. I seem to move very slowly but will post pictures when I have them. Thank you, Chris Mabel's Casse Tete 43/003 |
|
Join Date: 11 November 2023
Posts: 20 |
||
|---|---|---|
|
Hi Chris, Hope all is well with you. I have gone down a similar path, although we did not have the original boom (shame). Out of curiosity, is your original boom gooseneck assembly on the sail track, allowing tensioning like a cunningham? I requested a copy of the below photo from Hypatia Swan 47 (1st pic) & used a few other pics from a Swan 431 locally to us. The second photo is the gooseneck our dude fabricated for us. Fantastic job, very pleased. Can email you if a better resolution is required. Speak soon, Dan
Hi Dan, We're palnning to modify the old gooseneck system on rail to a fixed one. Unfortunately Pampero (41/048) din't have her original boom anymore and it was replaced by one from Selden with slab reefing. Last summer pointed out to us that tarack needs to be removed and new gooseneck installed. Do you have old plans still available so it would be possible to fabricate one? It can also be bought from Selden, but I prefer more of a stainless steel version, becaus of the force distribution is on alarger area. Please find pictures below: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/vclr1oxrrqjrmbcxjldll/AC_qdE3vxcXBXV-AREw1Pv0?rlkey=m4inx1p2mjg37yvrzi1awksty&st=x2ayrs1t&dl=0
My personal email is: henri.harka@gmail.com for possible documents.
Fair winds, Henri s/y Pampero 41/048 |
- Threads : 1804
- Posts : 10761
- Members: 862
- Online Members: 0


