Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Keel Bolts and General Topics on Keel - Swan 38 Genoa Track - Remove/Reduce/Rebed
11 June 2024 - 16:01
#1
Join Date: 27 February 2007
Posts: 36

Swan 38 Genoa Track - Remove/Reduce/Rebed

I am in need of some guidance on the Genoa Track. As part of removing all the teak (transitioning to non-skid). I will be rebedding all hardware, including the sail tracks.

Many have recommended I shorten the lenght of the track since I no longer fly such large overlapping Genoas. (Currently my biggest is a 135%).

Before I reduce/cut the track, can someone help me understand what sail options I may be giving up in the future. @Matteo I believe you mentioned many years ago you cut off 1.5 meters of track (did that correspond with a particular sail size in the decision?). Trying to understand this aspect before I make any cuts. From a logistical perspective, I may want to cut so that the first bolt in the track comes out in front of the port locker (so there will be no bolts/nuts in the port locker which has my autopilot computer).  I think there is likely some technical details that describe car placement in relationship to sail size (so maybe that would be useful in the decision?). My current sail inventory has much higher cut clews than what is on the sail diagrams...

Finally - what would the group recommend for Tufnol replacement to go under the track. Or can I still find similar? After removing the track the Tufnol piece broke into quite a few pieces and appears to be rather brittle (although I suspect it doesn't take much/any load as the force is all upward).

Thanks!

-Nathan

sv/Inspiration (Swan 38/090)

30 December 2024 - 09:04
#2
Join Date: 24 January 2015
Posts: 3

Hello.

I have recently been using again a blast reacher, with high clew point and heavy fabric. Very useful sail, probably one of the most useful.

Sails with high clew need a track which goes very far aft.

We did not change any of the tracks while rebuilding the deck years ago. Made the new holes exaxtly where the old ones were.

No leaks, a proper very sticky compound required, as stainless steel is not compatible with every compounds.

Kind regards

Stéphane

21 January 2025 - 08:08
#3
Join Date: 19 January 2025
Posts: 16

Dear Nathan,

Regarding the plastic strip under the stainless sheet track, they seem to use some grade of Tufnol. Tufnol exist today in different mixes of plastics and fibers. 

I would think that you neeed to fabricate the strip:

- I would find the right material grade of Tufnol, which would come in sheets. 

- Then select the right thickness of sheet

- Draw the curvature and saw it

- Mark holes and drill

- Do finishing sanding, forming

Best regards, Robert

21 January 2025 - 08:19
#4
Join Date: 29 January 2007
Posts: 1145

Dear Nathan and Robert,

in some countries Tufnol is not availabe anymore, in that case I think G10 would perfectly do the same job.

Fair winds,

matteo (47/069 Vanessa) 

  • Threads : 1804
  • Posts : 10761
  • Members: 862
  • Online Members: 0