Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Swan 36 engine replacement
20 July 2024 - 05:04

Swan 36 engine replacement

I own a Swan 36 (Hotspur Hull 26) and recently the engine, a Volvo Model 2003, needs replacement. On removal of the engine, the engine bed is only 330mm wide at the height needed to to align with the propeller shaft. All the repacement options are wider than this - Volvo and Yanmar show 410mm distance between engine mouting bolts

Has anyone replaced the engine on a Swan 36 and if so what make engine and how was the bed modified to fit?

Thanks for your help

Geoff

20 July 2024 - 22:25

Hi Geoff,

During our refit of Lofna (36/021) we replaced the Volvo Penta MD2030 (30hp) with a Beta Marine 30. Rebuilding the Volvo engine wasn't an option, as it had been completely submerged by rainwater that had filled the boat before we bought her...

We were advised the Beta 30 would not fit, but based on the drawings and our measurements, we assessed it should just (!) fit. The main concern was clearance underneath the forward end of the engine, and whether we would need to use the "shallow sump" engine option.

It was ineed a tight fit. We didn't need the shallow sump option, but we did need the optional remote oil filter kit for sufficient clearance on forward port side of the engine. We also had to fabricate custom engine mounts/feet. Alternatively Beta can make "special feet" if you can provide accurate drawings/dimensions. Both options will certainly need you to offer up the engine first with no feet (don't assume your engine bearers are the same spacing/angle as other 36s) so this is quite involved. Drilling and tapping new holes in the bearers for the new mounts was also quite challenging. 

Note that the Beta 28 is a physically smaller engine so would fit with fewer clearance issues and weighs less. With hindsight this would have been an easier option, although we specified a high-output (120A) alternator which does work hard charging our LiFePO4 batteries, so I'm glad of the extra couple of hp.

I have many photos and videos of the engine fitting work - very happy to advise from a safe distance!

best wishes,

Del

PS. There is a Swan 36 owners WhatsApp group. Email us (swan36lofna at gmail dot com) or message on Instagram (@swan_36_lofna) if you'd like to join :-)

24 July 2024 - 00:22

Hi Del,

Thank you for your detailed reply. I have been looking at a Volvo or Yanmar replacement and have had the same advice, that it will not fit, these have the same footprint as the Beta, I have a meeting with some mechanics today to find a solution, the issue is the width of the engine bed and the alignment of the propeller shaft. Looks like I need to modify the engine bed, and move the engine forward which I am not happy with. 

I just watched your video on instagram which was helpful, lets see if that helps. 

Thanks again, I will be intouch on Whatsapp

Geoff

• Threads : 1721
  • Members: 826
  • Online Members: 0