Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Stability report Swan 65
26 August 2024 - 16:37

Stability report Swan 65

Hello Swan friends,

My name is Sanne and together with my husband Marijn we are trying to bring Swan 65 #31 back into ocean going condition after 15 years on the hard.

I would like to get UK category 2 coding for her, so we can take guests sometimes. To do so we need to do and buy a lot of things, amongst which a stability report (can be stops, inclination test or full stability booklet). Our surveyor told me that if we would have a valid stability report of a sister ship, this would be enough combined with the old racing stability report to not have to do a new stability test.

Therefore my request:

Would anyone maybe be in possession of some kind of stability report of a Swan 65 ketch? If so, it would really help us out if you'd be willing to share that with me :).

Kind regards Sanne 

26 August 2024 - 16:44

Dear Sanne,

fantastic project, congratulation!

Did you check on "Technical Papers" (https://www.classicswan.org/restorations_login_papers.php) if the document called "Angle of Vanishing Stability" is what you are looking for?

If not please let me know, will try to help!

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

26 August 2024 - 20:22

Dear Matteo, 

That is a very interesting document. Unfortunately not what I need, but it does help a bit. 

Ideally I would have a STOPS stability number assessment, a stability booklet or an ISO12217 Part 2 ‘Small Craft - Stability and Buoyancy Assessment and Categorisation. It might be a long shot, but I thought to just try it 😇😊. 

Kind regards Sanne 

08 September 2024 - 05:46

Nice to hear that Ilios is back! I met the boat and then-owner Kees in the Caribbean a couple of times around 2006-08, and that played a part in my later decision to buy a vintage Swan ...

I am running 48/039 Vellamo commercially, so I know that authorities insist on the stability documentation. The full documentation for a 48 won't help, of course, but as there are some 65s that are (or at least have been) also operating commercially they are likely to have the necessary documents. I'd suggest to try to directly contact Margaux, King's Legend and other likely candidates (maybe search for Swan 65 charter) --

hope that helps,
best regards Martin

• Threads : 1728
  • Members: 828
  • Online Members: 0