Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Swan 38 rudder bearing
08 September 2024 - 15:11

Swan 38 rudder bearing

Dear All,

"toge" has got a new engine and since then when running on low revs the rudder stock makes noises and vibrates in the upper rudder bearing ( under the cockpit floor / stock end for emergency tiller). When turning the wheel to either side it seems that there is some play in this bearing.

Has anybody experiences wiht this? Could the bearing be changed from the cockpit? Which material would be best?

Thank you very much!

Fair winds,

Toni (toge, 38/113)

08 September 2024 - 15:28

Dear Toni,

never heard of just top bearing be to be changed, as I think if the rudder vibrates both bearings should be suffering by age and possibly be consumed, but you may try to change the top one only (you have to dismantle the top flange, and then the bearing will be easily accessible), and if vibrations stop you don't have to worry further, otherwise of course you will have to lower the rudder.

Delrin or Ertacetal is the material bearing should be made of, DO NOT use teflon. If you have a turner he should be able to get you a new bearing with the old one as a template, remember tolerance should be within 0,1 mm..

I am sending you the drawing of the rudder (in case you are missing it) by mail, please keep us posted on this problem!

All best,

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

20 October 2024 - 10:24

Dear All, Dear Matteo,

thanks a lot! Actual it was the metal bearing at the upper rudder stock which was worn out by app. 0,7 mm  (could be that it was like this for a longer time and we just didn't notice it). As I wrote: new engine, new vibrations, new noises. We opened up the two half rings underneath the cockpit floor in the aft cabin and then the bearing and the outside ring could easily be pushed out. We had a new metal bearing made and put it back in space vice versa. Very easy - no big deal.

Fair winds,

Toni

(SY toge, 38/113)

Before

rudder stock opened

metal upper bearing renewed

• Threads : 1728
  • Members: 828
  • Online Members: 0