Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Stern tube
24 April 2025 - 10:14
#1
Join Date: 28 September 2022
Posts: 33

Stern tube

Hi Guys

i was about to install a shaft seal on my Swan 411 and I realised that the tube is corroded. Is the any solution to this? I am thinking of the seal which is a PSS seal not being able to create a good seal and leaks. Thanks. 

Kaz swan 411/15

24 April 2025 - 11:49
#2
Join Date: 29 January 2007
Posts: 1145

Dear Kaz,

I think the only solution is to change the tube, which is not a big job as it sounds, unless someone has a better idea, which I hope!

Could you pleas post some photos?

All best,

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

24 April 2025 - 13:25
#3
Join Date: 28 September 2022
Posts: 33

Hi Matteo

I have uploaded the photos underneath the tube has a bigger corrosion. I was worried that I might have to change the tube altogether. 


Thanks

kaz

24 April 2025 - 16:11
#4
Join Date: 27 January 2011
Posts: 166

Dear Kaz,

have a look at this thread: https://www.classicswan.org/forum/post_thread.php?thread=2021&nopage=1 . The tube on our 411 was seriously affected by an engine misalignment, corrosion of the thin remaining steel then led to a leak. Replacing the tube required cutting out the old one, machining a copy, rebuilding the GRP around it. The tube has two rectangular wings welded to it, to fix it within the GRP, it is therefore not possible to just tear or hammer it out. 

Kind regards,

Christian 411/028 IF

24 April 2025 - 17:03
#5
Join Date: 28 September 2022
Posts: 33

Hi Chris

Thanks for the advice. I read the post. How did you remove the stern tube? Once you removed it I guess you had to epoxy the new one back. Was that a difficult job? Also how did you make sure that the tube was aligned with the shaft?

Thanks

Kaz

24 April 2025 - 18:20
#6
Join Date: 27 January 2011
Posts: 166

Hi Kaz,

attached some photos. I think mine looked worse than yours. I could only now see your photo. I wonder if you can simply use epoxy to fill the pitting, then sand it, so that the PSS seal sits tight.

I have given the work to replace the seal to a small Italian company in Scarlino, and they did an excellent job. I do not know how they did the alignment, but this was certainly tricky.

Kind regards,

Christian 411/028 IF

24 April 2025 - 22:49
#7
Join Date: 28 September 2022
Posts: 33

Hi Chris

I can see how they did it. Yes you are right. The alignment is the hardest part. 
The photos are very helpful.

Thanks

Kaz

24 April 2025 - 22:49
#8
Join Date: 28 September 2022
Posts: 33

Hi Chris

I can see how they did it. Yes you are right. The alignment is the hardest part. 
The photos are very helpful.

Thanks

Kaz

24 April 2025 - 22:49
#9
Join Date: 28 September 2022
Posts: 33

Hi Chris

I can see how they did it. Yes you are right. The alignment is the hardest part. 
The photos are very helpful.

Thanks

Kaz

26 April 2025 - 05:51
#10
Join Date: 07 April 2025
Posts: 47

That looks like an excellent job they did, but I'm curious why you didn't go with a replacement GRP tube?

26 April 2025 - 06:09
#11
Join Date: 07 April 2025
Posts: 47

That looks like an excellent job they did, but I'm curious why you didn't go with a replacement GRP tube?

28 April 2025 - 11:21
#12
Join Date: 27 January 2011
Posts: 166

In the end, I preferred to have the original setup, and there was somebody at hand to machine the tube as a 121 copy of the old one.

  • Threads : 1804
  • Posts : 10761
  • Members: 862
  • Online Members: 0