Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Brass cutlass corrosion
30 April 2025 - 16:16
#1
Join Date: 28 September 2022
Posts: 33

Brass cutlass corrosion

Hi 

I was about to fit a duramax cutlass bearing made of out of brass, when it dawned on me that the housing is probably made of steel. I am worried about galvanic corrosion between the brass and steel. I have looked at the active table and some steels like 301, 304, 310 and 430 are more active than brass. Others are less active and do no corrode. 
is it safe to fit one? I am not so much worried about the bearing but more worried about the housing. 

Thanks

Kaz Swan 411/15

02 May 2025 - 16:44
#2
Join Date: 29 January 2007
Posts: 1145

Dear Kaz,

brass, not bronze?

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

02 May 2025 - 17:42
#3
Join Date: 28 September 2022
Posts: 33

Hi Matteo

 

The cutlass is brass. It's made by Duramax. The housing, I think it's also called strut, is some kind of grey metal.

 

Thanks

 

Kaz

02 May 2025 - 17:51
#4
Join Date: 28 September 2022
Posts: 33

Hi Matteo

 

i just checked again. It is DZR. 

Thanks

Kaz

11 May 2025 - 07:49
#5
Join Date: 10 April 2010
Posts: 33

Hello,

We use the non-metallic shell duramax cutlass bearing on Anthea.  This avoids the galvanic corrosion issue. 

Mark (41/59)

 

  • Threads : 1804
  • Posts : 10761
  • Members: 862
  • Online Members: 0