Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Stanchion base query
31 May 2025 - 18:16
#1
Join Date: 07 April 2025
Posts: 47

Stanchion base query

Hi, I've got a crack in a stanchion base, and I have two questions.

 

1. Anyone know where I can buy one?

2. Why on earth is this one specific base on each side have such an odd design mounted in it?

31 May 2025 - 21:25
#2
Join Date: 29 January 2007
Posts: 1145

Dear Sweyn,

these stanchions are a superb piece of S&S attention to details. When the spinnaker guy is attached to the stanchions and pressing hardly against them, you can lift that "odd" thing, and the stanchion lean toward the  boat, so you are not bending the stanchions themselves.

That's a peculiarity of many S&S designed boats, in particular the RORC ones.

The stanchions were Lewmar built, but looking at the quality of today's Lewmar I imagine they produce in the far east with cheap materials and poor enginering, better you to find a shop which could rebuilt them.

Try WiBo in Finland, expensive but able to built nearly everything in stainless steel.

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

01 June 2025 - 10:32
#3
Join Date: 07 April 2025
Posts: 47

Ahh, I see!

 

Thats very clever.

 

Thanks as always Matteo

  • Threads : 1804
  • Posts : 10761
  • Members: 862
  • Online Members: 0