Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Foredeck hatch and companionway hatch questions
11 August 2025 - 06:39
#1
Join Date: 19 May 2019
Posts: 13

Foredeck hatch and companionway hatch questions

Hi All,

The foredeck hatch on my 41, Cavallino, has the original looks but must have been rebuilt / modified at some point. It is missing latches, and I was hoping someone could help tell me what these latches were and if they still can be sourced? 

My second question is if anyone knows if / where a replacement lock for the companionway hatch can be sourced?  The one on Cavallino is compleetly corroded and seized. 

Any info would be much appreciated. 

Thanks,

Andreas

41/028 Cavallino

11 August 2025 - 07:09
#2
Join Date: 29 January 2007
Posts: 1145

Dear Andreas,

I think you can find similar locks on the German shop toplicht.

Attached is a pic of the original one.

Fair winds!

matteo (47/969 Vanessa) 

Original lock

11 August 2025 - 21:56
#3
Join Date: 19 May 2019
Posts: 13

Thanks Matteo,

I think the plate that is fitted on the top of the plexiglass may be special made.  - Will check the Top Licht catalogue. 

Do you by any chance know if/ where the locks for the companionway hatch can be sourced?

Fair winds

Andreas

12 August 2025 - 11:25
#4
Join Date: 27 January 2011
Posts: 166

Hi Andreas,

we have and can recommend the Protex fasteners described in this thread by Philippe 41/022 Soeur Anne: https://www.classicswan.org/forum/post_thread.php?thread=798&nopage=1

These fasteners can be adjusted to an optimal tension.

 

Kind regards,

Christian IF 411/028

12 August 2025 - 13:44
#5
Join Date: 29 January 2007
Posts: 1145

Dear Andreas;

yes, they are definitely custom built!

I think there are not two S&S Swan with the same lock on the companionway, argh! Per my experience toplicht has a lot of stuff, I hope you can find the perfect lock for you there!

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

12 August 2025 - 15:19
#6
Join Date: 19 May 2019
Posts: 13

Hi Christian,

Thanks for your reply. I did see that and would be keen to see what the fixture attached to the hatch looks like. As also discussed with Matteo, the hardware attached to the hatch doesn't appear to be a standard product – or perhaps I'm wrong?... 

Best,

Andreas

12 August 2025 - 16:11
#7
Join Date: 29 January 2007
Posts: 1145

Dear Andreas,

correct, Nautor custom built (please see attachments).

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

Stainless steel plate from outside

…and from down below!

14 August 2025 - 05:47
#8
Join Date: 27 January 2011
Posts: 166

Hi Andreas,

we have the same fixtures on the hatch as can be seen on the photos of Matteo. I believe they are simple to reproduce. Since the hatch is sliding, it is not possible to have a hook extending beyond the lower surface of it. 

Kind regards,

Christian IF 411/028

14 August 2025 - 08:58
#9
Join Date: 19 May 2019
Posts: 13

Dear Matteo,

Thankls again, these pics are just waht I was looking for 😊. 

In case anyone have some lying areon or know where to source, any input would be greatly appreciated. 

Fair winds,

Andreas

14 August 2025 - 09:01
#10
Join Date: 19 May 2019
Posts: 13

Thanks Christian,

Spot on – this is just my reflection. Now I just need to figure out how to lay my hande on 4 of those 😉

Fair winds,

Andreas

25 August 2025 - 20:10
#11
Join Date: 19 January 2025
Posts: 16

If you still retain the old construction of the hatch, you need to talk to a canvas bimini person to fix it - yes!

The aluminium frame has a rope groove left right and front for threading in a tarp to cover the forward hatch in heavy weather.

That is how it is set up on my hull no 1

 

Plan B are these lashes: Protex lashes

 

https://protex.com/61-1610SS-adjustable-latch-with-safety-catch-medium-duty-stainless-steel-natural

03 September 2025 - 20:04
#12
Join Date: 19 January 2025
Posts: 16

If you still retain the old construction of the hatch, you need to talk to a canvas bimini person to fix it - yes!

The aluminium frame has a rope groove left right and front for threading in a tarp to cover the forward hatch in heavy weather.

That is how it is set up on my hull no 1

 

Plan B are these lashes: Protex lashes

 

https://protex.com/61-1610SS-adjustable-latch-with-safety-catch-medium-duty-stainless-steel-natural

18 September 2025 - 22:02
#13
Join Date: 30 January 2007
Posts: 467

For your information I am attaching the pictures of the latches I bought directly from Nautors in 2009 following the advice of Lars Strom.

Unfortunately I ordered only two of them and I regretted it for years; four is the ideal quantity. While the latch is probably easy to find, the "imbedded hook" part should be custom built.

Daniel, Luna Menguante, 411/004

Part that goes into the sliding cover

Latch

07 October 2025 - 11:24
#14
Join Date: 19 May 2019
Posts: 13

Hi Daniel,

Sorry about the late reply and thank you so much for the photos, they are great and gives me full appreciation of what they look like. I wish I could get hold of 4 somewhere but may have to look in to having some made. 

Best

Andreas,

41 / 028,  Cavallino

  • Threads : 1804
  • Posts : 10761
  • Members: 862
  • Online Members: 0