Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Rudder dismantle Swan 47
08 November 2025 - 07:27
#1
Join Date: 27 October 2013
Posts: 72

Rudder dismantle Swan 47

Mallemuk is on the hard in a yard in Cyprus.

The rudder needs to be dismantled for inspection and repair.

The yard is not super high-end yard, but I am confident they can do the job.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to be in the yard during the work.

I would therefore like to provide them with as many pictures as possible of similar job, so they fully understand what they need to do.

I know we have a technical paper describing the process, but pictures are very good to show everything.

I have of course make copies of photos from this site.

But I would appreciate if anyone who has done this could send me photos.

Particular if it is from a Swan 47

Please send to navigare.swan@gmail.com

 

Thank you very much in advance.

All the Best

Bjorn, Mallemuk 47/045

 

 

08 November 2025 - 16:49
#2
Join Date: 29 January 2007
Posts: 1145

Dear Bjorn,

just sent you a PM with detailed description on how the job should be done, in the meantime, as requested, please see (this post and followings) a series of images (sent you higher def images by mail too)

Please keep us posted on the rudder refitting proceedings, thanks!

All best,

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

Bottom bronze shoe

Gland and lower ring

Bottom bronze shoe dismantled

08 November 2025 - 16:50
#3
Join Date: 29 January 2007
Posts: 1145

Gland

Gland, shaft where seal should be positioned, and bottom ring

Correct positioning of the seal

08 November 2025 - 16:51
#4
Join Date: 29 January 2007
Posts: 1145

09 November 2025 - 08:41
#5
Join Date: 27 October 2013
Posts: 72

Dear Matteo,

Thank you vey much!

As always, you are very helpful.

/Bjorn

 

15 November 2025 - 16:59
#6
Join Date: 15 December 2023
Posts: 15

Hi Bjorn,

Here are some more photos of removal and rebuild of the rudder on our 1972 Swan 48, Galatea. Like Matteo, I also sent a link to your gmail with more photos and movies that show how the rudder was dismantled and rebuilt. I hope these are useful and not too late. Best of luck!

Sincerely, 
Robert (48/013 Galatea)

rudder post removed

corrosion on rudder post (which was later repaired)

rebuilt rudder installed, skeg repaired (before fiberglass)

21 November 2025 - 16:19
#7
Join Date: 27 October 2013
Posts: 72

Dear Robert,

Thank you so much for the link with all the pictures.

Very valiable information.

Bjorn

S/Y Mallemuk 47/045

 

 

  • Threads : 1804
  • Posts : 10761
  • Members: 862
  • Online Members: 0