Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Teak Deck Cleats and Grab Handles
05 March 2026 - 09:45
#1
Join Date: 01 January 2011
Posts: 37

Teak Deck Cleats and Grab Handles

Dear Forum, I need to replace the 12 x teak deck cleats and 4 x teak deck grab handles on Scotch Bonnet. The dimensions are cleats: 280mm length with 80mm between bolt centres; and grab handles: 390mm/400mm length with 280mm between bolt centres. I don't know if these dimensions are peculiar to the 41 or are common with other models.  A few questions... can anyone recommend a supplier for these parts? If replacements are obtained in teak should they be oiled or varnished, or left natural as with the deck? Has anyone/is it considered reasonable to consider replacing with stainless, and are any suppliers recommended? Thanks from Sydney, Andrew Scotch Bonnet 41/039

05 March 2026 - 14:17
#2
Join Date: 29 January 2007
Posts: 1145

Dear Andrew,

they should be left naturally, no oil and no varnish; They were custom made and a good (not a genius but a good one) carpenter will be able to rebuilt them, the same for the handrail.

When you will have them made, I suggest you have a couple more units to be built, as spare parts. I hope you will never put your bare feet on a stainless steel or anodized aluminum cleat...!

Fair winds,

matteo (47/069 matteo)

  • Threads : 1804
  • Posts : 10761
  • Members: 862
  • Online Members: 0