Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Swan 46mk2 vs Swan 47
14 August 2008 - 12:55
#1
Join Date: 13 August 2008
Posts: 1

Swan 46mk2 vs Swan 47
Dear all,

I'm new to this forum and find it a very interesting source of information. Here is my question: we (my father, brother and I)own a Swan 46mk2 which we find a pleasure to sail. Now, I'd like to own a swan of same dimensions for myself and my wife, in the 150000 euros range, and I immediatly thought about the 47. Since it's an older design, I wonder if it's much more difficult to sail than the 46, and what behaviour at sea I should expect when compared to the 46 (is it much slower, stiffer, wetter ...). Another question concerns structural integrity. Someone told me that the S&S Swans were overbuilt but not in all aspects, could you give me some precisions (I imagine laminates were overbuilt, but not deck hardware) ? Do you think that despite the age difference btw the 46 and 47, the 47 is still a stronger boat than the 46mk2 ? If someone has sailed on the two boats mentioned, I would be glad if he could share his experience.

Kind regards to all,

François uhem

08 September 2008 - 08:42
#2
Join Date: 02 February 2007
Posts: 126

Francois, sorry for the delayed response. I own a Swan 47 or NYYC 48 as my centreboard Mk 11 version is called.I haven't sailed on a Swan 46, but I have raced against several and in all conditions except very light the 47 is competitive. We were once place ahead of the top 46 at the last Rolex Cup in Sardinia.
I have had no structural issues at all, but some early boats had reinforcement around the shroud plates - the professor would know more about this. Our boat is very heavy, 19 tons, and I think this suits the centreboard configuration because she is very stiff.
On the Mark 11 layout I'd say that the saloon is better than the 46 as its 9 feet long and the aft cabin less good than the usual centreline berth on the 46. Our aft berths, a double and a single were factory built 3 inches wider but the double is still narrow.
Hope this helps. Please email me if you have any other questions, Gavin

10 May 2025 - 17:41
#3
Join Date: 01 April 2007
Posts: 117

Dear All,

Gavin mentioned in his previous post that some of the earlier 47 needed reinforcement of the shroud plates. 
Does anyone has more information about this: why was it necessary and how was the reinforcement done?

Jan, Yulunga swan 47/11

10 May 2025 - 18:19
#4
Join Date: 29 January 2007
Posts: 1145

Dear Jan,

I am just aware of reinforcements done on a 47  which had a collision but not about general ones, do you have e any issue on Yulunga?

 matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

10 May 2025 - 19:13
#5
Join Date: 01 April 2007
Posts: 117

Hi Matteo 

No, we haven't experienced any problems with the shroudplates. But I also noticed there are larger knees for the shroudplates on later Swans. And because we don't like surprises when in the middle of some bad weather, we better be sure and fix any problems beforehand. But perhaps present owners are not aware of any reinforcements made in the past?

Jan, Yulunga 47/11

11 May 2025 - 06:55
#6
Join Date: 29 January 2007
Posts: 1145

Dear Jan,

of course maybe some owners never looked at them, but I am 100% sure Lars would have told me!

Some 47 (and not only 47) have knees but that's likely to be caused by excessive shroud tension, and it's "just" cosmetic.

All best,

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

11 May 2025 - 16:06
#7
Join Date: 01 April 2007
Posts: 117

Dear Matteo,

I mean the knees on which the shroudplates are mounted.

On later 47's they are bigger then they used to be (see the drawings).

That is not cosmetic, but very structural. What do you mean by cosmetic knees?

Jan, 47/11

11 May 2025 - 16:44
#8
Join Date: 29 January 2007
Posts: 1145

Sorry, misunderstanding.

Please upload drawings, I imagine you are meaning  difference between Alt.I and Alt. II? Anyway I am not aware of any structural problem (and there are many 47s sailing around the globe).
Should ask Nautor, but the problem is the people who is answering nowadays wre not even born when our S&S Swan have built...

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

  • Threads : 1804
  • Posts : 10761
  • Members: 862
  • Online Members: 0