Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Keel Bolts and General Topics on Keel - dropping keel on swan 38
09 April 2009 - 17:35

dropping keel on swan 38
any members attempted to do the job themselves , I would be most interested in experiences and comments

john collins

satisfaction

13 April 2009 - 23:01

John, I have a 411 which had the keel removed for checking and then some maintenance.

Not a small job, it was down by ex- Campers then Swan.  I was there most of the time and it is not a job I would attempt myself.

Good luck  

14 April 2009 - 11:44

John,
as an owner of another 411 I would be very interested in more comments on the condition you found the keel assembly after you dropped it.
Beside attaining a better confidence in the boat, which is an issue I particularly care of, I am asking if you found signs not discernible from the outside based on which you would indeed recommend other owners to check the keel of their 30 years old boats.

Of course I am not asking you to take any responsibility for our boats but your insight is very welcome.

Daniel, 411-004

14 April 2009 - 14:48

Hello Daniel,

we have not actually dropped the keel yet; we launched the boat last Thursday and found that the bilge rapidly filled with water!! Having bailed it out we could see that water was coming in from underneath the craning point in the centre of the boat. We have now pulled her out of the water and begun clearing the fibreglass from the keelbolts.

We're hoping we won't have to drop the keel - Lars Strom at Nautor has been very helpful and thinks that the bolts may have elongated. Having loosened some of them today I think this may be the case! i will let you know how we do!

Regards
John
Satisfaction 38-028

14 April 2009 - 22:10

Thank you very much, John Collins,
I will (we all will) be very glad to read about your experience and I wish you easily solve your problem with a torque meter!
...my question was actually addressed to John Bailey who did the big dirty job and was able to see with his own eyes if and how problems were hiding there...
:-)

Daniel, 411-004

15 April 2009 - 17:34

Danial, to put your mind at rest we have spent our easter opening up our keel bolts and also removing the lifting plate their is no sign of any water ingress from the keel all bolts are as shiny as they went in no sign of corrosion or rust under the plate its clean no sign of any water. I am pleased we have done this job ,as its needed doing as im sure the bolts have not the required tork and will need tightening also it gives us confidence and peace of mind,Lars as usual has been most helpfull.
our leak we think now has come from the heads? we carry on our investigation
regards,
john
satisfaction
swan 38

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0