Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Adjustable Genoa Cars what load for a Swan 40 ??? Professor
30 August 2009 - 18:05
#1
Join Date: 03 March 2007
Posts: 243

Adjustable Genoa Cars what load for a Swan 40 ??? Professor
Hi All,

I am going to change my Genoa cars to Garhauer marine E-Z Glide Adjustable Genoa Car System.
http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=37

These allow one to adjust the sheeting angle on the Genoa as one reefs. My question is which one to get i.e. what are the loads with a reasonable safety margin.. I was going to go for the version that handles 2,800 lbs. Probably over kill but... anyway any thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Storm Svale

01 September 2009 - 19:17
#2
Join Date: 02 January 2008
Posts: 1547

Mike

The given working load is OK unless you have extremely powerful winches used to full capacity.

I believe the size is determined by the width of your genoa tracks, which should be 1 1/4 inch.

Kind regards

Lars

17 September 2026 - 21:17
#3
Join Date: 06 July 2022
Posts: 5

Hello Mike, 

 

After all these years, are you satisfied with your Garhauer genoa cars? 

 

Best regards, 

 

Michel

23 September 2026 - 13:53
#4
Join Date: 03 March 2007
Posts: 243

Absolutely!!  Adjusting the genoa/ jib is easy now under load  rather than adjusting the windward car  then tacking trimming and ... hoping you got it right.. So easy to fine tune the car position!!!

 

I recommend it.  I had to have the tracks trimmed so the car would slide freely...  you need to remove the track take to a machine shop for them to trim then reinstall on the boat. This was relatively simple.  --- relatively (;-) 

 

Best 

 

Mike

 

25 September 2026 - 21:32
#5
Join Date: 06 July 2022
Posts: 5

Thanks Mike!

That sounds like a great upgrade, but it's a pity you had to modify the track.

My rail is 32mm wide and 6mm thick, so I'll see if I can find a slider that fits natively without needing a machine shop.

Have a good day, 

 

Michel 

  • Threads : 1804
  • Posts : 10761
  • Members: 862
  • Online Members: 0