Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Swan 40 - Deck elevation near chainplates
11 November 2018 - 08:59

Dear Cliff

Deck lifting locally is a structural problem, and a common reason is that the chainplate knee inner ends are not properly supported against the coachroof coaming.
Suggest you send photos of the knees for evaluation.
Kind regards
Lars

Lars

i dont have pics at this time as away from Teragram until January. the lifting is as you say predominanety at the inner upper of chainplate at coaming.

I havent seen it worsen.

Cliff

11 November 2018 - 09:04

Mike

Thanks a lot

look forward to files, i sent my email to you. we are currently living aboard and preparing her for a world tour. hence rig repairs and wires change

fair winds

Cliff

11 November 2018 - 14:45

Dear all

Although the tie rod approach seems obvious it intrudes in the interior, and I would suggest another way. Pls see old thread

https://www.classicswan.org/forum/post_thread.php?thread=149

Kind regards

Lars

20 January 2019 - 19:14

Lars

i dont have pics at this time as away from Teragram until January. the lifting is as you say predominanety at the inner upper of chainplate at coaming.

I havent seen it worsen.

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

The problem of the decklifting is also there on my boat (Swan 40, #22). I am very interested to see some pictures of your solution. 

Kind regards, Jolling Lodema NL

07 March 2019 - 00:03

I was concerned, just like you, about my deck pulling up by the chain plates. I removed the fiberglass covering on the inside over the pilot berth and found that someone had added fiberglass over the knees and black gelcoat that had never cured. It felt sticky but because it is covered it did not matter apparently. It bothers me a little, but really does not matter much. But did it solve the problem of the bulge on deck? Was the reinfocement done when the deck had already pulled up?  That was about four years ago and at that time I made a template I could lay on the deck and it conformed to the deck and the bulge. The bulge was about 4 mm on port and stbd about the same. My rigging is wire on the lowers and rod on the uuppers. In the Winter there is less tension because the mast becomes a little shorter in the cold. In the Summer the rigging is set up to just become a little loose on the leward side when I am heeled about 15 degrees on the wind. It the about four years since I have not observed an increase in the bulging. I agree with The Professor that the knees are not adequately supported near the cabin house sides or. rather, the support is not carried enough inboard. The evidence is hull number #1 which I inspected at Port Townsend in the State of Washington. #1 has a plywood deck and no liner on the inside. Picture attached. The cabin sides st squarely on the deck, it forms a suare corner which is much stronger that the rounded corner we have on the molded deck. My boat appears to be adequately reinforced, but I'll keep an eye on it. 

09 March 2019 - 09:17

Hi Guys,

It took a while but attached is the file describing my setup for supporting the elbow and stopping the deformation of the hull and deck.. A prettier job could be done but this has served me well over many miles!!  Any questionsor comments are welcome!!!

Fair winds 

Mike from Stormsvale

10 March 2019 - 07:47

Hi All,

The file was too big to upload, hoping Matteo will put it in the Maintenence section..

Fair winds

Mike

14 March 2019 - 00:11

Maybe I can help: Mike was so kind and sent me these pictures from his repairs to his boat. His rig became slack at sea and it is a testimony to his seamanship that he didn'd loose his mast and was able to sail 500 miles into port where he made these repairs. A true sailor! Iam sure there are Vikings in his ancestry

14 March 2019 - 00:14

and some more:

14 March 2019 - 00:22

And here is what Willowind did:

14 March 2019 - 00:29

And here is The Professor's recomendation. It oes not intrude on the use of the pilot berth and I have slept in the pilot berth, so has my crew. The pilot berth are very useful to sleep-in at sea: they are just in the right location and you are very secure

14 March 2019 - 06:49

Super Peter!

I have gone through 3 computers since then and had lost those pictures!!! I have taken some new ones for Cliff

As for Viking blood... somewhere way back in time. (:-)

Sometimes I feel like the boat is part of me... that paid off in that situation and a few others!! Hope some day we can get together to discuss our boats.  We are planning another long trip and may end up in the Pacific Northwest so we will see!!!

All the best!!!

Mike from Stormsvale

15 March 2019 - 15:29

Hello Mike! It woud be wonderful to see you in person, personally! And to see your boat again in the Pacific NorthWest. I am a member of Queen City Yacht Club, the oldest yacht club here and can probably arrange low cost moorage for you and loan you my old truck for wheels. It would be so nice to see your boat again. When it was owned by Rod Madison in West Vancouver it was named Perfect Recipe but he sold it in July 91 to Jamie Anglin at the West Vancouver Yacht Club who renamed it to "Tantamar". Rod Madison bought the boat 1977 in N. Carolina, then sailed it to Maine and then around to Vancouver. At the time it still had the Volvo MD2 but he changed it to a 2003T with a Gori propellor. He also had the pendulum windvane. Or so the story goes, what I remember of it. Your boat would love it to be in these waters again!

Pete, Cygnus 

18 March 2019 - 07:34

Hi Pete et al,

Great picture  of a happy man!!!  Storm Svale was called Cedrene before I got her and from what I can find out she was originally in the North Sea and Baltic before being sold to an Argentinian. She was the first private yacht through the Suez Canal on her way down to do the Cape Town Rio race. (The present race committee contacted me to participate in an upcoming version). She was then in Brazil for a few years before being purchased by an American  who used her in the Caribe until he moved her to the  Cheasapeake.. She ended up on the hard in Baltimore for 18 years before I got her and started a now 22 year restoration (;-). 

We have a plan/dream to cross the Atlantic again and head into the Pacific >Galapagos marquesas Hawaii then to the Pacific North West. Target departure 2021. Lots of things could interfere... kids, health the usual but that is the plan. We figure we need two years to do it. Once we hit the PNW we will need a new plan! I consider Vancouver home but our base is Denmark... we may end up keeping her there and cruising the islands in the corner seasons.

I will be in Vancouver and Victoria in October this year to chair a meeting on Machine learning in marine science. Yes I am a water person!!! Let’s see maybe we can get together then!! Would be nice!!!

Fair Winds 

Mike

19 March 2019 - 01:42

Hello Mike and my sincere apologies for obviously mistaking your boat for another one! Back then, I looked at so many S&S 40's before I bought Cygnus. I also made a mistake when I wrote about hull #1 and the picture I took of the knees. It was actually hull #2 and was named "DELFINA".  I saw the boat in Port Townsend. I also reember a boat named "PROVIDENCIA": it had a dark blue hull and oversize rigging. The deck had a very pronounced bulge and the hull sides had been pulled in by the chain plates. About Cygnus I was told that a former owner, named Wells, had taken her to Tahiti but I don't know about that. I think it is just a story. Would it not be nice if our boats could talk? Or if the log books were to remain on-board?  I hope that I will still be alive when you get here, I am going to be 87 this fall and I'll try to hang on!

Pete 040/012

19 March 2019 - 08:23

Hi Pete,

You are amazing!!! Sailing keeps us young!! Anyway, hang in there ... maybe we get together this fall! 

As for their history, I was lucky the American owner left a lot of paper work on the boat which allowed me to track her back to the original buyer in the UK. Some of these ladies have amazing histories! I wish I could have been on board for some of Storm Svales adventures but saying that we have had a few on her and hope for some more.  

I chartered a Santa Cruz 50 this summer out of Vancouver ( the family hated her) close by on the dock where we picked her up was a Finnish flagged S&S Swan 40.  We never got a chance to meet the owners.  From what I have seen/heard the ar at least 2 in Van.

fair Winds 

mike

19 March 2019 - 08:27

Dear All,

could she be 40/032 Caress?

Fair winds

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

29 October 2019 - 16:39

Dear Swan-friends,

For the coming winter I have some plans for my boat. After a nice weekend with a lot of wind, over 40 knts, I decided finaly to do the reinforcement that Lars suggests. In short, I will go for the solution with the extra knee. The suggested material for the knee however is GRP and I am considdering to use Aluminum or Stainlesssteel instead. I am very interested what you think about this suggestion in case of strength, connection method with the hull etc. 

Kind regards

Jolling Lodema
Swan 40, Becca #22

24 December 2019 - 07:56

Hi dear friends,

Started my work. Here some pics. More will follow!
Merry Christmass!

Jolling

17 February 2020 - 22:12

Making progress!

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0